NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(was: "Slow day on the forum, slow weekend ahead")

Not much action out here today. Time to liven it up a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty land-bound this weekend. Half the family out of town, me babysitting the other half (teenager, dog) and the house (on the market - "no messes, so let it be written" sayeth the boss). Probably going to be limited to fishing vicariously through you guys.

Lefty and a couple of Raleigh kayakers are going to be at Jordan tomorrow - Ebenezer launch. 1st wave going out at 10:30, reinforcements showing up around noon. They won't catch anything - its still too early for bass in my humble opinion (doh! ref: Lefty's lost LM post from this past weekend).

So, who else is fishing over the weekend, where and what are you after?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Re: Slow day on the forum, slow weekend ahead

No fishing for me this week-end, I'm going to a two day disaster relief training session - chain saw, mud-outs and temp. roof repair are the subject matter.

I did go out for a few hours this afternoon. It was breezy and a tad on the chilly side but was sunny and felt good to be outside. I found a large school of reds - must have been 75 of them. They must have already had their lunch break :( cause they weren't interested in a thing I offered them. They would rush right over to the bait, tap it and then roll away :mad:. I tried gulp, slurp, top dogs, mirrolures, shad raps and even put a few live mud minnows out. Nothing would tempt them today.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Hope to get out this weekend. Mom and baby are giving me the go-a-head to take off sunday and get out on the water, weather permiting. Breadman 1 and I might try too hook up sunday and fish New River. Still waiting on my boat to get out of shop...soon, very soon. So if anybody notices a drastic drop in the fishing population, it then means my boat is out and I'm on the water...hehehe. My next project is to mount lights on the front of my boat so I can get into this flounder gigging...any sugs?

·
Registered
403 Posts

I plan on looking for stripers (or anything else interested in biting) Saturday at Lake Norman. I'll let you know if the curse gets broken this weekend.:)

·
Registered
249 Posts

Well, thanks to lurking around on this forum, I found out about the Wake Forest Reservoir a few miles from my place! I never even knew it existed. I may try and put my canoe in over there and see if I can get some bass.

If not, I'm definitely going to try a few casts in the Upper Neuse.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Daddy day care here for this weekend.. might cut my onion grass...

took boat back up to Grubb's to put on the yard to get her to sell, some guy wanted to take a look at it..

So no fishin this weekend

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out about the Wake Forest Reservoir a few miles from my place!
d-el - That's a nice, paddle-friendly lake (elec & paddle only). Lots of weeds & clear water. I fished there a handful of times last fall while I was getting used to my kayak. Caught several small bass around 1lb on flukes, senkos & small jerkbaits. The flyfishing guys from Paddle Creek said they caught bass out there in January on woolly buggers. I also like the lake at Durant Nature Park - I usually access on the Gresham's Lake rd side, behind the industrial park. I've only shore fished it. Could probably get a small boat on it if you had a trolley, but not sure if the city would have an issue with that (doubt it - I've only seen maintenance crews out there). Some really big ones in there.

Anyway, Go Get Em!

·
Registered
230 Posts
The wife and I are going to Belews tommorrow.
We went last Saturday to wet the lines and tune up the boat.
Going early in the morning. 2 weeks ago a friend of a friend caught a 9 lb bass
pitchin a jig. Gonna give a shot .

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Wales got a cooler full of slabs, and JoeB caught a couple, not quite so slab-like, from what I'm told. All were caught along the channel under the bridge -- nothing up along the riprap yet. We also explored the stump farms over east of the bridge, with no success. But we enjoyed the sunshine and the weather, and Joe said it was better than listening to the bombs falling.

Lefty

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Went beach fishing today at Oregon Inlet. I think the water was a little to cold today around 48 degrees. Just werent biting. sure wish they would move in. Heard they were catching some shad inshore around the manns harbor bridge.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Well, thanks to lurking around on this forum, I found out about the Wake Forest Reservoir a few miles from my place! I never even knew it existed. I may try and put my canoe in over there and see if I can get some bass.
If not, I'm definitely going to try a few casts in the Upper Neuse.
A solid weekend of fishing for me! Saturday I went down the street to the Neuse and caught ~10 small crappie in the same spot I caught that White Bass in last weekend. (Caught them on a white rooster tail spinner).

On Sunday, we put the canoe into the Wake Forest Reservoir and caught a 1-1.5 pound largemouth bass and a 12'' pickerel. (Well, they are called pickerel in Maine, someone else fishing told me that locally they are known as '[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]jackpike'). I've always thought pickerel were cool, they look like a prehistoric monster of some kind. Both caught on a 4'' green Senko. Had several other strikes and misses, I kept telling myself that they must've been really small and just missed the hook.....keeps my confidence up :)

I was very impressed with the WF reservoir, a great little lake for paddlecraft. Definitely headed back there in the near future.
[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Good point by Wellcraft Dave - Much better to post results as new topics in the Fishing Reports section so we can find them later. Posting them here is nice to complete the conversation, but by the end of this week nobody will ever again care who had fishing plans on Mar 9-11. Lots of folks might want to know what happened at <insert body of water here> in early march... Much easier to find as individual Fishing Reports.

PS: nothing wrong with posting here to complete the conversation - much appreciated part of the community!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Went beach fishing today at Oregon Inlet. I think the water was a little to cold today around 48 degrees. Just werent biting. sure wish they would move in. Heard they were catching some shad inshore around the manns harbor bridge.

Jimmiesfan48, I witnessed the first sea mullet of the year caught at Surf City (Topsail Island) this week. Won't be long now. BTW your boy Jimmy did good Sunday, didn't he?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.