NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was fishing small bridge that I have had pretty good success with stripers before. There was bait getting busted hard up and down the bridge sometime 3 or 4 places at once. I threw my go to in situations like that which is a white soft plastic paddletail and not a sniff. I threw topwater, popping cork, gulp jerk shad, tandem curly tail grub rig, and unfair lures twitchbait that looks like a menhaden and didn't catch a fish. I tried so long I had to paddle back in the dark with no lights. You might say they were gar but 1. I have never seen gar with that much energy and 2. this is a known striper spot. They were definitely orienting to the bridge. First time I've came up on fish busting bait and couldn't catch one. :confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you were where I think you where it could be trout. Slow down everything your doing and try a mirrolure. Topwater trout we have caught have been the slowest retrieve in the world

Really could have used this advice a few weeks ago. I went as far as dropping my big rack of LED flounder lights in the water for a really long time and finally got a small glimpse of one when it was coming in. Speckled trout..... fished for them several different times for many hours and the only way I ever had success was to wait till morning and throw the topwater and storm shrimp but even then the window to catch fish was tiny. As soon as the sun peeked over the trees it would be over.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
If you were where I think you where it could be trout. Slow down everything your doing and try a mirrolure. Topwater trout we have caught have been the slowest retrieve in the world
This. Sometimes you just have to work that spook at ****** speed. Twitch.................take a drink of water.......twitch..........eat a sandwich............twitch

·
Registered
199 Posts
I see gar orient to bridges regularly but have never heard that sucking sound come from anything other than striper and trout. When striper are being picky I like to throw an umbrella rig with downsized swim baits (2.5" body) or if I can, throw the same live bait they are feeding on. The umbrella rig usually does the trick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.