NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
The technology was widely used in Europe post WW2, when fuel was very scarce. Entire factories were powered with this technology for sometime following the war, there was not much of an alternative at that time.

The technology fell out of favor when the availability of conventional fuel returned.

Fishscalz

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It is common knowledge as far as I know. I would venture to say that you will burn up pistons pretty regularly running a generator this way.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is common knowledge as far as I know. I would venture to say that you will burn up pistons pretty regularly running a generator this way.
There are people fueling vehicles with these.

Id never heard of them before. I was looking into pellet heating solutions and found this.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd like a system for heating that heats water/air and makes the gas to run a generator. Good use of all the abilities of fire/wood gas. Tons of interesting stuff is used in poor countries. Gasifiers, rocket stoves, solar. We are very spoiled.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The air/fuel mixture was manually adjusted with the older systems, and as long as you don't advance the timing too much, the engines will run a long, long time. This works really well for an electric generator, not so much for applications that require lots of variation in speed. I have a friend in Sweden that has one that is over 60 years old, he keeps it for emergency back up power.

Fishscalz

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I actually looked into the science of this and just realized thats whats going on here. Pretty cool realy. Im actually very intrigued by this now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts