NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got to NC on the 21 from California and wanted to try out some swimbaits on NC water...The conditions were not the greatest and this was the first time home in 3 years from the air force...So I rented a boat and headed out at 0830...First thing I hear are shotguns blasting everywhere...It was going to be a wild day and it felt good being around some good ol'boys...The wind was blowing and heavy cloud cover...air temp in 50's...I tied on a 8" swimbait in a bass pattern and 7" bluegill swimbait...THe water is still up...and I went to all the spots I caught bass before...I really didn't get anything going until around 11 when I got my first follower, a 3lber...she was about a foot under the bait all the way to the boat...She came off a stump in about 4ft of water...Another hour went by and now I'm in the ponds in the back...I throw up and land about 3inches from a bush in the water...twitch, twitch...and there she came...a solid 5lber...but she didn't want to eat...she just follwed the bait back to the boat...THe wind started to pick up and I was running low on battery juice so I ran the bank with the retaining wall on it...I make a cast out in shallow water and about half way back...I see one with her nose right on the bait...I twitch it and she slams it...and like always I set the hook to early...But it did make me believe that swimbaits are not just a california thing...Anyway...overall slow...but I did get one bite...thats all I was looking for...off the water at 2:20...Looks like bad weather tomorrow but I'm still going out...atleast for a few hours...

Anyway, good luck to all and merry x-mas
D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After going out today, I think you picked a good time to start throwing swimbaits...I think if I had just a little bit warmer weather or slightly cleaner water I think could have been better...If you see fish moving shallow thats a good time to start trying and learning...

As for throwing swimbaits...which ones to throw...thats a hard question...I would first figure out what lake you are going to try and figure out an answer for the following

1. Water clarity...the clear the water the more followers you will have...the darker the water means you might need a swimbait with rattles...

2. What size swimbaits do I want to start throwing? 3", 6", 8", 12" 16"...a true swimbait is anything above 6"

3. How much am I willing to spend on one bait? Price range for $5 to $300

4. And can I leave all my other rods at the house...and just throw swimbaits all day no matter what?

Swimbaits on the east coat is just starting to catch on and its still years away from the true secrets of what can happen out here on swimbaits.

As for baits, I'm alittle jaded and alittle extreme when comes to swimbaits because I have my own swimbait company and I haven't thrown anything else for the last 11 months - throwing baits from 6" up 18"...so I will leave my company out of it and give a list of what I think beginners should start with and build on...I always say start with a floater...very hard to lose and you will get bit...

1. BBZ-1 by Spro - Floater - $40...this is a 8" bait and has rattles...it can do some amazing things - Hard Bait

2. 3:16 Wake Bait - Floater - $65 - I would recommend the Wake Bait Jr....7" very easy to throw...has no rattles - Hard Bait

3. Jerry Rago Baby Tool - Floater - $75 - 8" - Alittle heavier than the 3:16 but a sick bait...no rattles...Hard Bait

4. Basstrix 5" or 6" paddletail - $ 25 for 3 can't remember - I know some of my east coast buddies have been sticking some fish on these...these are a soft bait that you use a weighted hook to give it the keal...I have only thrown them once or twice(too small for me) but alot of people stick fish one them....

5. Huddleston - $35 - Softbait - 8" - paddletail type bait...comes in different sink rates...This for me is the sickest softbait on the market but it takes a while to learn how to use it and you can lose alot in a weekend when learning...but I stuck my biggest fish on it...13.8lbs...the same weekend I lost 10 baits in 3 days...

I know there are alot of other ones out there but these are the ones I have experience with...

As for rod, reel, line...For the first 3 on the list or anything 8" or bigger...I would recommend a 8' Teramar by Shimano($100) matched with a Callcutta 400($200) or 400TE ($300)and use 25lb Izorline or P-line...as for the smaller ones mose flipping sticks can handle them...

Now for how to use...lets say you are throwing any of the first 4 on the list...

Just fish them like you are throwing a spinner bait...throw tight to whatever and real it back...some days a fast return works other days a slow return works....

Make sure to have a good pair of sunglasses...some fish will follow it...if this happens its waiting on you to do something or not do something for it to chew...

After some time of a normal return...start experimenting with twitches...jerks...pops...deadsticking, etc...in time you will start to see fish and learn what they want...

Sorry for being so long...but once you figure out swimbaits its hard to go back to anything else...

I hope this helps
D.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
WOW NICE REPORT AND GREAT EXPLINATION ON THE LURES AND WHAT REALLY GETS ME IS THE COST OF THOSE LURES HAHAHA ARE THEY MADE OF GOLD?

BBZ-1 by Spro - Floater - $40

3:16 Wake Bait - Floater - $65

Jerry Rago Baby Tool - Floater - $75 - 8"

Basstrix 5" or 6" paddletail - $ 25

Huddleston - $35 - Softbait - 8"

THATS ALMOST HALF THE PRICE I PAYED FOR MY BOAT ;)
WISH YA ALL THE BEST TC AND IF YOU CAN BUY ALL THOSE MY FRIEND THEN WE NEED TO TALK LOL,MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the slammer...a sick bait also...a floater...comes in 6" and bigger ones...

Went out today(23 Dec 07), got on the water at 9ish...a little warmer heavy clouds and a slight breeze....Went throwing my 8" swimbait...floater...fished about an hour a finally got a follower, about a 3lber...but she didn't want to chew...but the cool thing that happened was about a hour later...I throw up into some trees that were in the water....and about halfway back a huge owl flys down and tries to grab my bait...he lands in a tree about 15ft from me...and watches me continue to fish...and for the next 20 mintues the owl continued to try to grab my bait...At one point I got within 4ft from the owl, eye to eye...it was the funniest thing I have ever seen since the racoon that chased my bait for an hour in california...ANd the best part about the owl is I caught all of it on my headcam...I will have to do some editing with yesterday and today...
After I got rid of the owl...I fished until about noon with only one more follower...another 3lber...THe wind came up pretty good...so I headed in...The last time I fish wiggins was in the summer about three years ago...I think that would be a good time to try some big swimbaits...

Anyway...still a fun day on the water...the next report should be on Harris Lake on the 28th and 29th...

See you on the water
D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for the price of swimbaits...the hardbaits...they are worth it...Most of them will take a beating and last a long time...

THe soft swimbaits are cheaper but won't last as long...

I have spent $20 to $300 on swimbaits...once you get your first fish on one...your collection only gets bigger...

D.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
i bet and i will also bet my wife would kill me for spending that much on fishing gear lol.
the owl thing sounds cool would love to see the head cam of that one.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
:D THE GOOD SIDE OF ME BEING MARRYED IS SHE FISHES WITH ME AND MOST OF THE TIME BETTER THAN ME ;) I TAUGHT HER TOO WELL,NOW WHEN SHES WITH ME IM THE NET BOY SINCE AS SOON AS I TRY TO PUT A ROD OUT SHES LANDING ONE LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh for those that are intrested in the swimbait thing and what we do out on the west coast, we have a big tournament in Jan...winner take all one fish...Click on some of the anglers profiles to see some huge fish they caught in the past...Its called the Heavyweight Bass Classic...I'm the only East Cost guy in it...It should be fun...
www.heavyweightbassclassic.com
See you on the water...
D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.