NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided to try Umstead just for a change of pace. I get to the lake about 2:30 tie on stick worm and spray it with bang spray and toss it in. Very first cast a gentle bump and tap. Another gentle bump and tap. Finally the line starts slacking big time start reeling to catch up and give it a rip little 3/4 pounder but a skunk preventer so good thing.

about 15 mins later again another subtle tap. A few more little taps but wasn't sure the bass had yet really committed to the worm. Kept watching the line noticing these little movements of the line and finally enough movement to give a rip. Again another little guy almost a twin of the earlier one.

decided to put on a rat l trap and give it a try. About 15 mins into the rat l trap tossing on a slow retrieve Pole just bends and at first thought I am thinking uh oh a snag. But the fish starts moving some and I can feel light fight however the fish feels like I am pulling on a log the fight is major but the fish is moving a bit and I realize my drag is too tight ( just put new line on reel) so I star rat to loosen drag in case it decides to run. I gave up a little on the tension and it made a jag toward deep and off it went. When I pulled up the rat l trap a piece of the mouth of the fish is on the hook. If this was a bass it had to be in the 10+ range but I am thinking it was a channel cat and likely 15 pounds must on how heavy the fish felt on the line. oh well will never know but sure got the old heart racing on that one and total disgust on not checking drag before I started and not landing whatever the beast was.

moved on to another spot. And first cast now more aggressive tap tap and a 1 pounder was on.

it was a nice day in the sun but I also missed three hook sets the taps were so light and also lethargic and I thought fish had it and ripped to early. One was on for a brief fight the other came off immediately and the other wasn't there when I ripped it.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Sounds like you did a good job avoiding the skunk and catching a few. Sorry you missed seeing the big one!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like your reports Spidey. They give me hope. I don't recall too many "I got skunked" reports. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen I know. I hit one of my ponds this morning and threw a redeye to get my only fish, a midsized crappie. Luckily I didn't have to make an "I got skunked" report either. Actually I have caught something in my last 4 or 5 trips but no bragging stuff. The wind was blowing so hard it was tough fishing. The ponds I fish unfortunately have a good and plentiful supply of the dead black mossy crud to foul almost every cast. Too bad the ponds are all so shallow.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your reports Spidey. They give me hope. I don't recall too many "I got skunked" reports. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen I know. I hit one of my ponds this morning and threw a redeye to get my only fish, a midsized crappie. Luckily I didn't have to make an "I got skunked" report either. Actually I have caught something in my last 4 or 5 trips but no bragging stuff. The wind was blowing so hard it was tough fishing. The ponds I fish unfortunately have a good and plentiful supply of the dead black mossy crud to foul almost every cast. Too bad the ponds are all so shallow.
i get skunked plenty of times trust me. But did get 2 today started at umstead but the wind was up and no protection and water was muddier so I went to my local fav spot. i will do a report tonight

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.