NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Stone Mountain State Park this weekend to try the wild streams since DH is dead and I've heard good things about Garden Creek. I "hiked" (not much of a trail) maybe a mile to mile and half along the stream and only saw a few pools and caught several daces (or whatever those little non-trout minnows are) with a griffith's gnat.

I've heard people saying they have caught 10-15 fish on this stream and I don't see how there's even 10-15 trout in the whole river. Am I just a complete novice and should have been fishing those 3-6 inch deep riffles or does it get better if I keep hiking?:confused:

My only wild stream experience is the South Toe and did pretty well the 2 times I've fished it.

All things considered, it was still a beautiful day exploring and trying something new and wasn't mowing the lawn!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Here are my suggestions (not being a smart ellick, promise)

1. Wear dark natural toned clothing
  2. Walk like a heron
  3. Stay out of the creek
  4. Hike further
  5. Use smaller flies
  6. Use smaller tippet
  7. Walk quieter
  8. Make sure your drifts are absolutely drag free
  9. Stay out of the stream as much as possible
  10. Make your first cast perfect
  11. Use rocks and trees as cover
  12. Walk quieter
  13. Use a longer leader
  14. Stay out of the creek
  15. Walk quieter

That should help :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Don't neglect those riffles and tail sections of larger holes. Even the transitional waters in between holes. These are productive, especially in summer.( For me anyway) Make clean casts. Natives can be caught in the smallest of holes(washes behind rocks). 5 gallon bucket size and smaller. Some tend to walk right by them.

Best advice? More exploring.

Even as you mentioned, it beats mowing the lawn any day.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm far from an expert in this department, but keep in mind if someone caught 10-15 wild fish on any given stream, up to 10-15 of them may have been less then 5" so as Crummy said, be sure to fish any small pocket/hole that is an area where a fish could get out of the current and watch the flow go by. If he's there he'll usually smack it (and fast), so 1-2 casts and move on to the next spot, which may only be 14" away (precision counts A LOT). And as LostnWilderness said, do so very stealthily.

Also, the fish may have just been "off" that day. It happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mainly because you were fishing Garden Creek. Everyone from Boone to Manteo knows where Garden Creek is. The good creeks will not have any information online about them. Just got to go out and find em.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Garden gets hammered. The NC biologist I know that surveyed the creek a couple years ago told me the numbers were the lowest he's ever seen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think you may have taken the wrong trail. The trail that goes along Garden Creek is pretty well developed. You do have to cross the creek several times. Past posts here on this stream mention 7 to 8 creek crossings before you get into any fish. The lower parts of this stream have chubs and easily spooked browns, I have had better luck going up higher. I have fished up to where it took 40 minutes of quick hiking it to get back to the road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I indeed gave up too quickly! Definitely didn't use a "well-developed" trail for any length of time and didn't cross the creek because of the trail. I'll have to give it another try and make a good hike out of it. Then hike another 30 minutes as smokiestroutslayer says.

Catching a wild brook is on my bucket list...looks like it's tougher than I thought and need to get out of my DH bubble :cool:.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Here are my suggestions (not being a smart ellick, promise)

1. Wear dark natural toned clothing
  2. Walk like a heron
  3. Stay out of the creek
  4. Hike further
  5. Use smaller flies
  6. Use smaller tippet
  7. Walk quieter
  8. Make sure your drifts are absolutely drag free
  9. Stay out of the stream as much as possible
  10. Make your first cast perfect
  11. Use rocks and trees as cover
  12. Walk quieter
  13. Use a longer leader
  14. Stay out of the creek
  15. Walk quieter

That should help :)

All of the above. I would add Walk Quieter. Be a Trout Ninja for the wild ones......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts