NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of notes from the last few trips: slow down, most people are fishing too fast. On average, the last few days it has taken me 3 minutes to retrieve a cast. The majority of the boats around me are making 2-3 casts to my one, meanwhile they are wondering why they aren't catching fish. There aren't any secrets spots and unless you're Joe the Samurai I mean Plumber there aren't any secret baits. The key to success this time of year is to slow down and fish thoroughly. In the Chasin Tails fishing report this week Matt gives a great tip and might be a way for some of you to put into perspective. If you can feel your lure while working a bait, you're fishing too fast.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I know suspending twitchbaits are the goin thing for trout this time of year. Would it work to dead stick a soft plastic paddle tail on a slip cork about 4 foot down or so this time of year? A small cork that will just float a 1/8th oz jighead and bait. Add procure and watch the cork. Maybe bump it every 15 seconds or so.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know suspending twitchbaits are the goin thing for trout this time of year. Would it work to dead stick a soft plastic paddle tail on a slip cork about 4 foot down or so this time of year? A small cork that will just float a 1/8th oz jighead and bait. Add procure and watch the cork. Maybe bump it every 15 seconds or so.
That would work, but I would choose a curly tail over a paddle tail and a 1/8 ounce jig would be substituted for a 2/0 Kahle hook with an 1/8 ounce split shot about 12 inches above it. You don't even need to bump it every 15 seconds. Cast it out and allow the wind/current to do its thing.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
when the water gets cold you barely do more than bottom fishing. Just a twitch and drag here and there.. I like scented softbaits in cold water myself.

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Slow, slower, sometimes just pay attention to the first drop.
See lot's of folks not keeping the bail open after a cast.
Count to 5 before closing, wait for tick, set hook. ...... ICM

Reactions: c.lane
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.