NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
what's the attraction in shooting iron plates -- why use an iron plate over some other target? (I'm not a big gun person -- shot .22's at scout camp one year, that's about it...)

Seems an alarm clock or a computer would make a much better target...

·
Registered
256 Posts
We used iron plates with a hinge at the bottom. When you shot the plate it would fall down and you would move on to the next. We would run several series of drills with multiple plates or try to hit one plate at a distance. The iron allows you to re-shoot the targer over and over again.......unlike an alarm clock or computer.

I don't know where the plates come from.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
He better be glad that shot skipped off the ground on the way back. It broke the speed of the projectile...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
We used iron plates with a hinge at the bottom. When you shot the plate it would fall down and you would move on to the next.
Aha, kinda like the carnival shooting gallery, I get it now!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've owned 2 .50BMG rifles and like most owners of these cannons, you want to see what they can do. I've shot 1.5" steel plates (I got them out of a dumpster on base) and the AP rounds just burn through them. Depending on how well anchored the plate is, any round can richochet off of it. Tracer rounds bounce off of pretty much everything. They have a soft core of typically magnesium and another chemical that give it color during the trace. Because of that, and the core gets "expended" during flight, the round has less mass to penetrate. .50's are a lot of fun, but it is easy to get "stupid" with them.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Those people are brilliant. I learned about bullets ricocheting as a kid with a bb gun. Never tried to sight in a 30-30 or any rifle on metal. Used a piece of plywood with a bullseye to get a group of shots. Then we shot watermelons as targets.:p That can get a little exciting.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I'll stick to playing with Spud guns..LOL

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
yes breadman i have.. there is NOTHING in a car that will stop a 50 cal bullet fired from 300 yards away.. i shot a 1980 delta 88 front to back at 200 yards. bullet went all the way thru it.. seats and all...

zooker

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
You outta see an ear of corn still in the husk.. Thing unfurls like a minuteman missle as the husk peels away on launch... Good Aquanet hairspray fuel is getting hard to find though and butane scares the *^&% outta me..LOL!!!
Tangerines are fun too. They splatter like a water balloon on impact and hold up/fit better than oranges....

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yup, if I remember right, hair spray was the ticket for the launchin of the boiled egg... man that thing "zing'd" out of sight...

there was a "wad" used to hold the egg... just some toilet paper or paper towel I think... kinda like a shotgun or muzzle load wad... wrapped the egg in it and flicked the gas stove button and "fooonk" - egg in orbit!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Funny you mention the ol' spud gun...
Matt might know a little somethin 'bout that... ;)
Ah yes...launching the egg out of sight. It was a raw egg and when they are loaded right they don't break from the launch. I shot a brat straight up in the air and about 10 seconds or so later it came down with enough force to explode on the pavement and leave a sizable grease spot :D I used butane and it is a bit over powered for a PVC pipe. I blew the back off of one in Japan launching golf balls close to 1000 yards into the ocean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.