NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the family down to the beach for a week late June. I will take my yak for a little BTB or sound side fishing, and have some surf gear. If anyone wants to meet up to fish, paddle or shoot the breeze let me know.

One thing I need to line up is a trip out to CALO. Last year the weather turned iffy, the ferries didn't run and the kids were bummed. We did get out to Shackleford. This year I want to make sure I get them out there. Suggestions for shuttle companies would be appreciated. Last year we were in Beaufort, drove out to Harkers to find they wouldn't run and then used the ferry company on the waterfront in Beaufort to get out to Shackleford.

I will also need to take at least one of my kids shrimping. Last year we just did it off the dock at the boat ramp since we were sound side. Not sure what the closest good place would be from EI. We have a small cast net.

Anyway, feedback, suggestions, offers to meet up or whatever are appreciated...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got you covered on all things mentioned......

Would be glad to make a trip out to CALO! I'll have a wife and 2 kids one 9 yo boy and one 13 yo girl, let me know if this should get to be a serious plan!

Shrimping and squiding (not a real word) are easily done as well!
I have a wife and 4 teens - 18 yo and 13 yo triplets (who will turn 14 during that week). Not sure if they will all want to go, if that would even be practical for you. I would insist on buying some fuel and supplying some drinks and snacks.

EDIT TO ADD - Ryan is very interested in the catchin' kraken idea...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a wife and 4 teens - 18 yo and 13 yo triplets (who will turn 14 during that week). Not sure if they will all want to go, if that would even be practical for you. I would insist on buying some fuel and supplying some drinks and snacks.

EDIT TO ADD - Ryan is very interested in the catchin' kraken idea...
Well then! Sounds as if we have a plan!!

The "Kraken" plan will only happen if he comes over the night before...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would be interested in tagging along on this adventure. I have a 22 foot CC that we could fit some people in. I would probably bringing along my wife and 12 y/o son.

I have been to CALO, but never piloted my own boat there, so I'm up for learning the ends and outs of getting there.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"10-4 Rubber Ducky..."

Showing my age with that one! Anyone remember the song?
I do not remember a Kenworth pulling logs; I am far too young... :D

The odd thing is how universal the appeal of the song was at the time. Even the rock station would play it, sandwiched between KISS and Bad Company.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a Sunday to Sunday rental, so the 2 Sundays are the only "absolutely won't work" days for me. 6/23-28 are wide open right now, though the triplets birthday is the 25th and we may have some land based plan that day. But I really want to get them out to CALO. Last year, we could have done it the first day I was there (I had to show up a day or two late) but I wanted to unwind a bit, sure we would have another chance. Guess what happened?

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is awesome! I've been wanting to haul the boat down! Anybody up for doing some fishing another day? Again, I've got room on my boat. I would love to chase some inshore species!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will definitely be fishing one way or another most days for at least some part of the day; probably all day on a couple. When surf fishing, I am up for running baits out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is what I meant to come over the night before! Saylor found out these things have beaks that latch on pretty good about 2 seconds after this shot! lol

Kraken bite

Attachments

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So are they purely for bait or calimari on the hoof?

So stoked! I have a couple of quick trips to salt planned in the interim, but this will be the big one for me this year.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We didn't keep any of the one's we caught. One night we got 3 in the same cast net. But you want to see kids go crazy......catch a squid and put em in a bucket of water! They love it! It's really neat to see the squid to change its color right before your eyes.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.