NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have only deep sea fished. i just recently bought a canoe and mostly fresh water fish but i would like to try some inshore salt water fishing in my canoe so i know im very limited to where i can go but i was wondering if anyone new of some places to fish around wilmington from a canoe. also what fish to go after and good baits and times of the year to fish for what ever is best. any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Kaleb
Wilmington's got some great places. First I'd recommend would be Fort Fisher -- its shallow and protected on both sides, so you don't get much boat traffic, and can't get in but so much trouble. Try to pick a calm day, though - canoes tend to have a lot of freeboard (side of the boat above the water) which catches a lot of air on a windy day. (That's one big reason why a lot of us use kayaks instead.)

Another great resource is Cape Fear Kayaks on Eastwood Blvd. They can point you to quite a few good spots, and tell you where you'll have to watch out for boat traffic and so on.

Welcome to the Armada!
Lefty

Reactions: Scott Hobbs
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. i cheat and use a trolling motor so as long as the wind isnt insane im not to worried.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CHEATER! CHEATER! :D

My first thought when I read that was, you'll miss out on finding that sweet spot where the wind's pushing you in one direction and the current is pushing the other. I paddled up alongside Mark back in December, I thought he had his anchor out... Nope, just had that perfect balance between wind and wave...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Good move with the trolling motor - that helps a lot in a canoe with the wind - I use to have one myself.

This time of year your best bet is the creeks on the mainland side. Most of them are holding puppy drum and maybe a few trout. On sunny days when the sun is high, try the sandy flats (shallow). On cold days or cloudy ones, try the deeper holes with mud bottoms. Just remember to slow your retrieve down and to vary the action.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lefty is quite right about the Fort Fisher area. There is plenty of reasonably protected water that has been known to produce good catches of puppy drum, trout, and flounder. The fishing is good all the way from the put-in near the ferry all the way down to Buzzard Bay near Bald Head.

The area around Banks Channel at Wrightsville Beach is a good place also. You can put in at one of the CAMA points and paddle out into the marsh grass. You have to keep an eye out for boat traffic but I have never had any problems. I've seen guys in 'yaks going outside but I lack the skills and stones to do that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
CAMA is the Coastal Area Management Act, one of the parts of the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources. As you drive along most waterfront roads you will see their signs indicating access to the beach or body of water. Generally these are narrow walkways and paths. There are several along the roadfront at Banks Channel. I'd suggest marking your input point on your GPS or remember local landmarks really well.

If land develoment at the coast continues unabated, CAMA points may be the only way some of us will ever get access to the beach. More info on CAMA is available at N.C. Division of Coastal Management.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Kaleb: Another great place down there is the Myrtle Grove Sound. Lots of water back there and most of it reachable only by yak/canoe. Look for Trail's End on Google maps or Google Earth.

And I will always be a fan of the Fort- just went last Friday.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fresh never frozen shrimp is easy to get and use, sand fleas (sand crabs), mud minnows, finger mullet, cut mullet. Any small fish you catch like croakers, pinfish can be cut up and used as well. I like the Saltwater GULP products. Fishbites products are another good bait alternative. If you want to use artificials, Mirrolures, Redfish Magics,Fin-S (Finess), baits. Just to name a few.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Just want to make sure when you have a trolling motor that you have the canoe licensed. I'm sure you do, just wanted to bring it up for others.:D That is a costly oversight.

I have a 17 foot canoe and when I'm by myself, I turn the canoe around, then I sit in the front seat facing the actual back of the canoe. I put a 5 gallon bucket with a little water in it to help as a counterweight and then I can zip right along. I use this in the spring on the NE Cape Fear catching big red bellies, bass, crappie, racoon perch and what ever will hit a beetle spin, oh yea how could I forget the infamous bowfin.:cool:

Without turning the canoe around and sit in the back seat it lifts the front high and makes it hard to control especially going down stream and trying to dodge strumps and deadfall.

I have a anchor system and lover it so I can cast up under all the trees and places, can't miss one or that will be the biggest fish.

My son and his buddies love the canoe and are always on the river. They call and tell me where to pick them up and I'll go and get em. :D Just to hear the tales they make up I'm sure.

Tight lines and be safe out there. <*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Fresh never frozen shrimp is easy to get and use, sand fleas (sand crabs), mud minnows, finger mullet, cut mullet. Any small fish you catch like croakers, pinfish can be cut up and used as well. I like the Saltwater GULP products. Fishbites products are another good bait alternative. If you want to use artificials, Mirrolures, Redfish Magics,Fin-S (Finess), baits. Just to name a few.
That's a pretty good list their SunDrop especially for a guy that's new to saltwater fishing. Nice job. :D

Just a side note, sand fleas are also known as mole crabs and they are a pompano's favorite food! Drum love 'em too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have been wanting to get down in that area and fish from my Kayak for a while now an have even taken my boat several times. I always seem to be there when it is super windy and can't get out. I will set that as a goal this year again hope to see you there.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
There must be something going on with your computer setup. No one else has complained of this problem. I'll send you a Private Message with instructions on how to reset your cookies, as that is the only place I can think to tell you to try. Have you tried using a different computer?
does anyone know why i cant see replys unless i reply

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you fish around the Wrightsville area, there's a green sea wall that's excellent for loading up on live bait (pinfish, finger mullet, and even sometimes squid).

Heading south from the 74 bridge (Wrightsville) on the ICW there before the last red channel marker on the right (Money Point), look for a set of 6 pilings, that's a channel for boats to go around that seawall for protection. You can fish that channel and up around that seawall there and the flats to the right and all that area there east/n. east around Money Point (working the docks and deep channels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.