NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola all, first and foremost, awesome site! I am originally from Denver, Colorado so most of my fishing experience is from lakes, streams and rivers. I have caught mostly trout and a few gills here and there to include cat fishing fests. I have absolutely no clue of how to fish in brackish or ocean waters, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have talked with numerous local fishermen in the area, and pretty much came up with a basic understanding of the jigs used and associated baits and weights, but still have no clue as to whats out there and where to start. Also, I am very interested in crab fishing, but I can actually find very little on where I can go this. I am rather rehearsed on the line method since its the same basic concept used to catch crawfish, and I heard that crab pots cannot be used without a commercial fishing license.

I look forward in sharing fishing tales and getting feedback from other experienced anglers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
welcome to NC.
You might want to find a wildlife officer and talk with him about fishing both waters. they change things every year. I used to have a friend in Wilmington that would get me a book on limits but he in retired now and not sure he is still there. The brackish water will have both fresh water and salt water fish in them up to a certain point. Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to NCAngler!

A good place to go crabbing without a boat is the piers at Soundside Park in Surf City. It is on the right just after you cross the swing bridge. If you have a boat, any shallow water spot along the ICW or it's creeks will do.

You can get a recreational commercial gear license. I think it is $35. That allows a rec fisherman to use commercial gear like crab pots for recreational fishing. With that license you can set out 5 crab pots. You'll need to check the rules though as they have to be tagged a certain way and you still follow the recreational rules for limits, size, etc. If you live on the water and have a dock, you are allowed to use one crab pot tied to the dock (or land) without the license.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I know my moms friends make the 2 hour drive to the ocean just for the super fresh crab. From what i understand they just find a backwater part of the marshes with a bridge over it and sit on the bridge and drop a rope with a peice of chicken tied to it, pick the crab up and quickly net them near the surface with a long handled net.

Welcome to ncangler!

Ps: i do believe that you do not need a saltwater rec license for harvest of coastal non-finfish, so i think you will be okay doing this without a license? But personally id just buy one for when you go fishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts