NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Wilson Monday afternoon, I usually like to fish mornings but with all of the rain I figured that some time for the flow to come down would be good. The water was high but still fishable, it was dirty by Wilson standards but had good visibility of the bottom to 2 feet. Not sure of the water temp, it felt warmer than I expected probably because of he rains, but after standing in it for 30 mins or more my feet and legs were pretty sure it was very cold. The breathable waders that I recently purchased from Richard (ChieflyFliyin) worked great. but I may take the neoprenes next trip.

Anyhow back to the fishing I could not catch any fish at the places that I expected them to be. I finally found some in the ripples below the pools and near eddies behind some of the big rocks. I was fishing the spinning reel mostly using curly tail grubs, caught a couple on spinners (neither is my usual choice for this time of year, but they didn't seem to want the usual)

Saw several deer on the way back out as well as a bunch of people enjoying the kayaking in the gorge. I think we ended up with 20-22 between us, all bows, no monsters but most at 12 inches plus.

About 4:00 the sun dropped behind the mountain, the temp fell at least 10 degrees and the fog started rising from the creek, (not Robbie is still in short sleeves) We left that spot and after putting on some sleeves, we finished the afternoon on the SunnySide of the Mountain.

Darrell
Cloud Atmosphere Water Sky Horizon
Water Fish Salmon-like fish Fisherman Brown trout
Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Nice job, and great post Darrell. Glad you got some fish, they are beautiful.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Sam, They are even more colorful in person (Hint)

Darrell
Darrell, I have a fly rod and some stocking foot waders. I have no idea if what I have is right for the application, but I have done a little trout fishing with my Dad up on the South Holsten (with lots of instruction re: fly choice and presentation). With a little planning, sometime I would love to get together and catch a couple or at least trade some stories. ;) Along the same line (and easier for me to pull off), I do hope you know that any time you want to fish around this area I'd be happy to have you take the stern section at any of the lakes I fish. :D

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the invite I will take you up on it one of these days. maybe sooner rather than later after I see Jerry's report.

I will send you my days off and we'll see what we can work out.

As far as knowing what is right for the application, fly choice, presentation, etc. We will probably need to get RouseD to go with us. I am mostly hit and miss, with the long rod, although between Allen and Bruce they have taught me to tie a leader.

If I have the flyrod I usually fish a weighted nymph under a strike indicator, but I usually fish the spinning rod esp if the fish are deep and throw about anything that will interest bream, or crappie, but with more subdued color patterns.

I am very good at stories, it usually takes a couple of fishing trips or evenings by the campfire before I start repeating myself.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Darrell, I would be a poor choice to select flies for stream fishing for trout, and I am limited on my fly casting abilities. Maybe we could all learn together. We could get help on fly selection from the more experienced stream fly fishers on here.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Glad you had a decent trip. I use my neoprene hip waders a lot in winter. I always take my breathable ones but in winter I pack warm undergarments to combat the cold water. It's winter. I don't plan on going waist deep in the stuff. That water is COLD in August.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Scott, you should come join me sometime, you could probably talk our friend from a little farther west into a trip to get some big girls while your out this way. If he still ain't holding a grudge about the imaginary shad run on the Neuse.

I went back yesterday with fanofpoe we had a great day not as many fish though, I think we were between 11 and 14, but they were hard to catch, skittish, and extremely particular about color and presentation. The only think we caught on were green/brown crappie jigs. It is a wonderful place to fish, which I guess is the main reason it is so crowded. We saw a dozen different people fishing the DH on a Wed.

Darrell

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I was thinking of heading out there tomorrow.... Hard to catch, skittish, and fussy about color are three phrases that talked me out of it right away.... I might head out to hyco instead and try to catch a few crappie.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh Man Len I am so sorry to spoil it for you.

Try to get up with finstalker about trout fishing somewhere in his world. Send me a text or call if you want his Number.

Darrell

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You didn't spoil it.... you saved me from a bad day of frustration after a 2 hour drive. I can't fish moving water well anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.