NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about going to Wilson Creek DH tomorrow but the weather is saying it will rain all night and probably stop around sunrise. I know that river can flood pretty badly so I was wondering if anyone knows of an online water level gauge and what should be a maximum number for safe wading.

I found this with a little googling but still wouldn't know what's going to be safe or not: http://www.water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=gsp&gage=egmn7

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Did you go to Wilson?

Had a good report from some folks that fished Wilson on Friday....no complaints about high water etc. Wilson seems to drain out pretty quick and clear rapidly.

Biggest challenge for folks fishing Wilson seems to be realizing that the water is deeper than it appears to be. It is often so clear that what appears to be only about ankle or shin deep....is actually often thigh or crotch deep. I routinely hear of folks taking a spill this way....taking that first step into what they think is shallow water... (another advantage of a long wading staff...how deep is it really?)

Had a report this week of a guy falling in Wilson and filling his waders. Got to shore and dumped the water out. Went back to vehicle to change clothes and realized that in the process of dumping out the water....he also dumped his truck keys. But...he went back to the spot where he thought they may have gone in, and after some crawling around (since he was already soaked) and reaching into spots on the stream bottom...he found them.... Two lessons learned: one on wading...two on keys...

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Wilson barely clouds up even after a heavy rain. and it will drain back to normal quickly. Ditto on the super clear water!!! Most dangerous part of Wilson is being in the gorge when huge summer cloud burst hits up toward the parkway and all the water comes down when you don't even know it has rained upstream.

Darrell

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I played it safe and went to stone mountain instead and had a fabulous day. At least 20 to hand, one brown and lots of rainbows and brookies. Even had a mayfly hatch and caught a half dozen on an Adams. Best of the day was about a 14" rainbow on a pheasant tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fished Wilson's Creek with my son on Saturday....lots of people....did pretty well...total of 28 fish, all rainbows and brook...nothing very big but a fun day. Fished part of the Watagua Sunday morning and had a great time...30+ fish...caught rainbow, brook and one brown. My son landed a 16 inch rainbow...that was the biggest we saw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.