NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at sunrise this a.m. on Mt. Island. It was already windy. Surfed to the hothole. Was still windy in the canal. Tilly caught 2 on a texas rigged purple worm and I caught 2 on my new (1st use) slingblade flutter spinner rig on a fluke. Got one on the shakeyhead in junebug.On the way back it was UNPADDLEABLE. Is that a word. In 10 yrs I have never been in that bad of a wind. It had to be a steady 25 mph.If I had been in the ocean or farther away I would have been in trouble. After 15 min of getting wet from spray and making horrible progress we aborted and hit the shore. If we could`ve made the probably 45 min. paddle back we would have been totally soaked. Just getting out fast enough without taking a wave over the back was sketchy.I would never go far in a wind like that. So we took (drug) the yaks about 150 yrds on a trail through the woods to get to the parking lot. That was fun. I took a 12ft perception acadia today. Not a good choice if you plan on dragging it around and over fallen trees.
Man, I love kayaking !

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sorry you had to work so hard!! Chalk it up to experience...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Paddling against a stiff wind can certainly be a chore! Another thing that gets interesting is a strong tailwind -- a lot of boats have a tendency to wind-cock and turn themselves broadside to the wind. I've had to cross The Basin at Ft. Fisher in a pretty stout breeze coming from about 5:00, and its surprising how hard it is to keep the boat straight.

Now that I'm writing about it, though, it's making me wonder, why not just stow the paddle, let the boat turn sideways, and ride the drift...

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Registered
539 Posts
It is really windy in Concord. After taking the dog out, I didnt lock the door and it blew open later in the morning. And after finally getting my rack on my car, I was hoping to do a little fishing today, but no way.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
NOW THATS DEDICATION OF A FISHERMAN,NEITHER RAIN SLEET SNOW OR STRONG WINDS WILL KEEP US DOWN!!! GLAD YA MADE IT BACK SAFE AND SOUND............TIRED AND HURT PRIDE BUT SAFE NEVER THE LESS............AT LEAST YA CAUGHT FISH :D
AS FOR ME I TOOK THIS OPERTUNITY TO DO SOME WORK ON THE BOAT TRAILOR AND GOT MY LIGHTS OUT OF THE WATER...........NOW I WONT REPLACE AT LEAST THREE SETS A YEAR.........AND NOW IM READY TO GO FISH IF THE WIND DIES DOWN BY TONITE ;)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff, fish were not breaking today. That is part of what I like about that slingblade. I`ve always had a ton of faith in a fluke and have been known to weight them. Now I`ve got that and the flash. The fish today were down a bit but probably not even 6 ft. I was reelin it about like a shallow crankbait and ripping it a little bit. That was the only time I could feel the blade really good. The blade is so slender it`s not like a rooster tail type vibration at all. I think what I got is what they show as the" sworming hornet" in the BPS catalog. I`m thinking about going back out.
Like Lefty was saying, if you are lucky enough to need to go with the wind that is certainly better but without any paddling it can get quite hairy. This morning, arriving to fish, if I let it just blow me it would spin me around sideways in the wakes. Not only was it scary, every time a crest hit me I would get sprayed pretty good. Waves were tall enough that paddling in line with them it would almost bury the nose when the back went up. Sure some of you saltwater guys have done that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I dont know how bad it is down there in NC but im sitting here debating if i should move my truck around. that tree outside my window is starting to scare me. D.C. is pretty bad know and suppose to get worse.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I've got tree limbs all over the yard and had to retrieve my garbage can from the neighbors.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know on Tuesday night we were having 74 MPH wind at the airport. DC had down powerlines, down stoplights, trees and flooding. sounded like a Hurricane to me. it was pretty bad around midnight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.