NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for you guys who fish the western pamlico . The areas east of Washington, bath Bellhaven Durham Creek etc.

Is there a better wind direction for the fishing at various times of the year? I know the wind can dramatically affect water level, but does it push fish in certain directions as well?

Do any of you pick your area to fish based on the prevailing winds?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If I fish when its windy, I fish windswept shorelines with the wind to my back. The bait gets pushed to those shores and the fish follow. I also choose coves/creeks with the wind pushing into them rather than out. As Trigger says, the wind moves the water. In non tidal places like the Pamlico and falling water pulls the fish back as a safety. So if I fish falling water I fish drops, channels or ledges very close to those drops. Fish are just like you they don't want to get trapped by a falling tide..

Reactions: rogerbynum

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Can't wind direction affect the salinity levels in nontidal waters?

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
336 Posts
I remember watching a Bill Dance special in which he talked about how the wind will blow the tiny critters that shad eat to a certain bank making the shad follow them. So, I agree the bait might move but I also know for a fact that in some of my favorite coastal waters the fish are where they are and don't move from wind direction change unless that change does something pretty extreme to the water but it will kill the bite or set it on fire.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Green, It is not uncommon for the ramps at Havens Gardens to be mudflats during a few days of wind. Water Sky Water resources Tree Bank

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Masons landing on Clarks Neck rd, but it will drop fast and your trailer will drop off the ramp before you can get most larger boats loaded. If its really bad you have to drive down to Goose creek park/Dinahs landing over off hwy 264, or Cotton patch landing off hwy 33, or drive on to either Aurora or Belhaven and fish those areas (more salt anyway) I am not sure what the status is at McCotters Marina for launching there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.