NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second news post in a day- I'm on a roll!

http://myfox8.com/2014/08/31/abandoned-quarry-in-winston-salem-is-pool-of-hope/

Could be good news for us Winston guys if it happens, I know a lot of us are always looking for spots on here. I have friends who sneak over to this quarry all the time and talk about how cool it is. You can see it from 421 through Clemmons.

The article also mentions potential upgrades to the Salem Lake marina, which I have heard about for a while, and Winston Lake. I've never been to Winston Lake myself, but I've heard it's pretty run down so the upgrades could be a big help (although I'm not sure a "water park" is something I'd like in a fishing destination :D.)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my friends who go cliff dive into it, which probably isn't the best idea. Fishing such a deep lake would be pretty interesting though.

I know Blue Dolphin Dive Center used to use it for SCUBA training. I'm not sure if they still do. I think there is a bus at the bottom.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Winston Lake..... Is a bit on the scary side. I'm a giant of a man, and if I wasn't, I would be too afraid to go there. My fellow fishermen there are mostly ok guys, but some of the people that hang around in the parking lots give me looks that make me wonder just how safe I am there.

Salem Lake - Needs the new marina. It's on the seedy side as well, but compared to Winston Lake it's Beverly Hills.

If anyone who is familar with this quarry is willing to lead, I'd love to visit it before the park opens. I've never fished a quarry, but love the idea. PM me if you are willing to try this.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not sure if you are talking about same quarry. There was a large one on the south end of town that backed up to Reynolds Park golf course. Sounds like this is that one, they even state that the greenway that is already in place near Salem Lake could be extended. What I would really want to know is what kind of marina they are planning for Salem Lake that will cost 4 million? Q. W. is laughing in his grave over that one I bet. Really, 4 million? I can only imagine how much it will cost to fish when they get done with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Biglenr - I remember your posts about Winston Lake being sketchy haha. I was more or less referencing that in my comments. Salem Lake doesn't seem that bad to me, but I don't really have enough experience at boat ramps at other ramps to know what the standard is.

meenyt - You're right, I believe I'm thinking of a different quarry. I remember seeing a master plan for Salem Lake somewhere and they had some pretty lofty goals. Obviously that is a LOT of money, but I just wanted to post it for fishing side, not to get into the politics.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
300 Posts
2 different quarries are talked about here.

There is the one near hanes mall you can see by the highway there near the jonestown exit. That is NOT the one talked about in the article.

Google map [h=1]Piedmont Quarry[/h]Winston-Salem, NC 27107

That gets you to the one in the article.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Before we spend 4 million on Salem lake, I would would much prefer that a park be built at Idols Dam in Clemmons.

Arguably one of the best spots in NC to fish for Catfish, White Bass, and Hybrids in the Spring, with a generous helping of anything else in that section of the Yadkin River.

A great place for an access point as well....it doesn't hurt to wish.........

Fishscalz

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amen to the Idols Dam idea. As long as it's there, I'd like to see them do something with it, whether it's converting it into a park or even generating power with it again. I know the whole dam debate is an entirely different topic, but it seems like it's just a hazard right now and impeding the river's natural flow. Share the history by opening it to the public.

it's always intrigued me as I live in Clemmons. I got chased off there a few years back when I was sneaking around, but I really should try and fish it now that I have a kayak. I've heard the portage is in bad shape, though.

I have a friend who fishes it regularly and his pictures defy belief. Not just the white bass and catfish, either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.