NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for the experience catfishers out there. Looking at the temps for Friday through the weekend has got me thinking about setting some limb lines Friday or Saturday. Question is this....given time of year, water temps, rain over the past few days and today and resulting rising and muddy water am I wasting my time? If it matters, I'll be on the Tar or Neuse.

Also, for the ones who set limblines, what is your go to bait? I prefer cut eel.

Thanks for any feedback. I've got my money on Scott being the first to respond. :cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
The lakes like badin and tillery do pretty well after heavy rains. They usually have the floodgates open and the big blues love heavy current. I plan on going the next few days. That's a real blast hooking a big fish 40lbs+ in heavy current, you got your hands full. I'll keep you guys posted as to what bitting.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. We caught a couple of channels with similar temps and water conditions in march. Matter of fact on that day, we waited until just after noon due to heavy rains that morning. Unless the boys wimp out on me, we'll probably set lines on Friday. If the boys do wimp out on me, I'll find some new boys....haha. I'll let you know how we do.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It don't have to be warm. Plenty of big flathead pictures hanging on tackle shop walls that were taken in January and February on the Neuse river.......bush hooking.
Their metabolism may slow in the winter but they have to eat.

I would be more interested in getting out there and baiting hooks right before the river was to rise more so than temperature.

When I go fishing for catfish in the river I want the water to be on the rise while I'm there. Preferably on the front end of the rise.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I caught lots of channels this summer in the neuse river. All the sudden bam it shut off like a light once the weather started cooling. Now there biting in the deeper creeks off the neuse whereas in the summer all you could catch in there was a bullhead or two when tryin to catch channels. Seems they go to deeper slower water in the winter. For me at least.....

·
Registered
408 Posts
That is weird about the Neuse and Cape Fear rivers. When you get high water the fish don't bite. Look at the big rivers around the country, like the James, Tenn rivers. The blues thrive in that heavy current. I would rather fish good current then slack water. To me it seems the current motivates them to bite. If you look at blues in a aquarium. Their bodies are made for heavy current. They can run circles around all the other fish.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The current in the neuse at least in the maple cypress area is never even close to slack. And the way its soon to be with this heavy rain you better know how to use your anchor trolley on your kayak or your goin to be in trouble. Not to mention it's goin to be a job even to get to your spot if it's upriver.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I seen the current after rains like this bring 6oz of lead to the top in the Neuse. This flooding also flushes the nasty stagnant stuff out of the swampy backwaters and the fish no likey !

Reactions: noseman12

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
When the river is high people make the mistake of fishing like they normally do.
First, you need to know where you are fishing as in what the banks look like when the river is low. Where the banks are hogged out, trees under cut, etc.
Try fishing right at your feet, not casting. Just step up to the bank and drop it straight down. High water those fish are going to shelter out of the big current.

As far as putting a boat on either of those rivers in above average high water. Use your head. Both rivers are dangerous in high water and have taken many a life in those conditions.
I've done it once on the Neuse spending several weeks canoeing from Raleigh to the ocean in real high water. 28 of us. That was back in the day when the Civil Air Patrol took in teenage cadets and treated them like men, I'd argue worse than men at times.......and before the country went lawsuit crazy.
I saw an aluminum canoe get sucked right from under the two people sitting in it and get ejected 10-12 feet in the air on the other side of a log jam.....full of gear. We were very fortunate those two people were left hanging onto the log jam. That is one of those times when you couldn't get any closer to dying without dying.

Fish on a rising river, not a flooded river in a boat.
It's not a bad idea to wear a PFD bank fishing a high river either.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input and conversation. Drum Runner, planning to set limb lines, not casting, but thanks for the input. Veteran duck hunter and dealt with the higher winter waters. I like waking up in the morning so I'm not going to take foolish chances. Thanks for the advice regardless.

Going to check the water level and current in a few. IF I go, will hit Contentea Creek. Depending on current, will probably set lines in a couple of coves that won't have the level of current the main creek does. Playing it by ear until then. Plan B is to hit a couple of ponds with a new baitcaster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rectangle Azure Slope Font Screenshot

Looks like the Tar river is going to be a bit trashed, by the time all this new water goes thru. As far as access to the river, the Falkland landing is bad! Tar river landing or port terminal might be doable.
Safe fishing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tar River Report

Rectangle Slope Font Line Screenshot

Looks like we might be in for a wet winter, with lots of high water. I just saw where some places had up to 6" of rain over the week and more in the forecast. If it stays wet, I think I'll be fishing closer to the salt.
Safe fishing .......... ~ <*(((>{

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.