NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else take their braided line off for wintertime cleaning? Not necessarily the line it's self I am more concerned with any salt that may have been on the line after a long cast or run that doesn't get rinsed off cause it is too deep in the spool. I found a little spot of corrosion on my spool about halfway down so now I am going and taking the braid off and checking all my reels. Saving the braid of course and respooling it afterwards.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I flip my braid (spool from one reel to another) this changes the end in use and lets me clean and check my spools. I spray my line with Reel Magic often also.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Jbare, it's not a bad idea. You fish in a destructive environment using metals that destruct in that environment.
Just about all of my fishing these days is surf fishing. I am also a very meticulous reel cleaner. I'm very particular about my equipment but my equipment looks new even though some of my reels are 10-12 years old and only used in the surf. That comes from the cleaning.

I fish with Power Pro and trash my line at the end my fishing year every year for a couple of reasons. One is cleaning.
The other is surf fishing. Your line takes a pounding surf fishing. Sand and shells are abrasive.
Another reason is I do alot of dry land casting as well. I might be tuning or tinkering on a reel or I might be burning in a new set of ceramic bearings. Or I may just be working on technique. At any rate, dragging braided line through a mowed coastal Bermuda field aint the best thing you can do for your line either.

I start every year fresh unless it's one of my reserve reels or a reel that didn't see much use the previous year. But my primary reels, it's change the line every year. If I change it, I know there won't be any issues.

Sundrop, on line day you need to come over and back your reels up to mine because I'm just going to chuck up a 4" toggle bolt and zip it off with a drill and drop it in the trash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.