NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good place to take my boys for some colder weather fishing? they are bummed since the bream stopped biting and itching to catch some fish..

I am bank bound as the wife is reluctant let me buy a boat..I think I am turning the corner with her..but thats another story :)

I am in the Knightdale area..but will travel to falls etc..for good fishing for my boys..

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just remember.. What happens in PMs, Stays in PMs :) Have a good time!! Bundle those boys up!! Better to strip layers you have than be seeking layers you don't!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
A winter crappie related question. Back on lake erie we used to fish for perch using what we called a perch rig. Metal leader with two attachments for hooks and a clasp at bottom to add a sinker. Would that be something worth trying in winter time since that would get me fishing at our near bottom?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ive used the mono/metal "crappie" rigs like youre talking about with minnows and jigs. It works and you pick up a catfish here and there too. One trick I have done is using some mono ties to the bottom adding length between the sinker and the rig allowing you to fish your baits higher in the water column. Use a lighter mono than your mainline and if your sinker snags you can snap it, and save the 2 hook rig too.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Ive used the mono/metal "crappie" rigs like youre talking about with minnows and jigs. It works and you pick up a catfish here and there too. One trick I have done is using some mono ties to the bottom adding length between the sinker and the rig allowing you to fish your baits higher in the water column. Use a lighter mono than your mainline and if your sinker snags you can snap it, and save the 2 hook rig too.
Great idea. This way I can fish maybe three feet off bottom with bottom minnow. Hoping to get out this week but this a busy time at the spidey household getting ready for Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Just remember.. What happens in PMs, Stays in PMs :) Have a good time!! Bundle those boys up!! Better to strip layers you have than be seeking layers you don't!
Man, now that is truth. Nothing ruins an outing like being cold.

Good luck to you and your boys!

Reactions: RouseD and sundrop

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
A winter crappie related question. Back on lake erie we used to fish for perch using what we called a perch rig. Metal leader with two attachments for hooks and a clasp at bottom to add a sinker. Would that be something worth trying in winter time since that would get me fishing at our near bottom?
A lot of people use a similar drop shot rig to catch white perch at Falls this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.