NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good things to try in lakes and ponds this time of year for bass and crappie? I have been fishing with plastic worms carolina and texas rigged as well as yamasenkos and have not had too much luck lately. If anyone has any suggestions of what type of baits to use and what techniques to use for the cold weather I'd appreciate it. Also what fish are biting the best this time of year? Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
for bass
two words "shakey head" use a 1/8oz shakey head rigged with a small worm -trick worms,finesse worms,ect moved slowly over the lake bottom is what normally will work most of the winter.. cold water adds to a slower bite. figure on catching 1-2 fish a day. more than this would be a fluke. i have worked 8 hours in bitter cold to catch a single fish..

for crappie
i use a 1/16 oz jig head with a tube on it my prefured colors are black/chartuses,red/white,rootbeer chart. ya got to work on retrive type ,speed,and amount of jigglin..

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I caught about the same size bass in Bond Lake in Cary last week, also on an inline spinner -- Mepps Thunder Bug in my case.

·
Registered
49 Posts
a lot of people underestimate the effectiveness of a fast retrieve in cold weather,try burning a rattl'e trap a small spinnerbait such as a rocketshad or a crankbait of a known hot col0r unless conditions warrant.A shakey head on a 1/4[spotremover] oz head paired with a zoom trick worm in grn pumpkin or watermelon candy is a standby in cold and warm weather, a good rule of thumb to find the pattern ,throw two slow retrieves and two fast ones.and if the spot looks really good throw several times to it trust me work a spot throughly at all angles it'll pay off.tight lines and good fishing,a suspending crankbait is a good choice too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are some good things to try in lakes and ponds this time of year for bass and crappie? I have been fishing with plastic worms carolina and texas rigged as well as yamasenkos and have not had too much luck lately. If anyone has any suggestions of what type of baits to use and what techniques to use for the cold weather I'd appreciate it. Also what fish are biting the best this time of year? Thanks
The only thing I've been able to catch any bass on is a jerkbait and rattletraps like everybody else is saying. Went yesterday to a private pond in Smithfield and caught 3 each on about 4 pounds on a purple and silver rattletrap.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You're in a Catch22 time of the year, between all the cold fronts moving thru, nice weather and cold fronts again its hard to be on the water when all the moons align to make for good fishing. ;)

This time of year if you can get to the water a couple of days after the cold front and it is weather like this weekend, will make for some good fishing. The sun will warm the shallows and in turn the baitfish move to the warmth and the beast move in for the kill.

I do a lot of fishing this time of year and use a lot of different lures and techniques depending on the type of water I'm on. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Rattlin Rogue (my favorite) on warm days, plastics of assorted colors and sizes. :)

Big thing is remember the water is cold and the fish some what lethargic or slow, on the nice warm days they will hit a rattle trap or something a little faster. I have a Texas Red color 1/2 and 1/4 oz that the bass truely love. this time of year they will just stop the lure in its tracks and all I can do is hold on. So nice days try something a llittle faster, colder days try something slower, pig and jig, black/blue is a great color.

Couple dozen years ago on Jordan Lake they wanted a green pig and jig, we tore em up on the rock walls at the mouth of Robeson Creek.

Consider the type of water, deep or shallow, how warm the water is and how to catch em. Shallow type ponds, like those at housing areas ;), are good places to try, if you have permission. Sand holes are another good spot, the water is usually shallow and might have a dinge to help warm the warter.

Hope this helps, tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.