NC Angler Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the Watauaga Info....was on my list last year.....but, 2020? I also just added the Brookfield page to my info. I think it will be helpful to know when Santeetlah is pulling current. I plan to spend a lot of time in the Dam area this year....in search of Larger Triploids. After my Christmas trip, I've become fixated on trying to locate and catch them. Trolling may not be the best approach.

Much to learn,,,,,Good Fishing!....D

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you wanna catch a Trout over 5 pounds this year make some trips to Watauga. Last year 4-6 pounders were thick and I got one over 7 pounds. Remember, even when the top is cold the Lakers will sit deep, 50-100 feet, because they can't wear sunglasses. They may come rather shallow, 10-20 feet, to strike but they sit deep to ease their eyes. You'll probably should cover 20-60 feet with lures about now. Well, in a week or two when the lake is not so muddy. They'll hit real well if it's a little tinted but chocolate milk, no! It's surely quite muddy now with some tree parts floating around. When the water gets back to almost clear, the fish will bite hard. They've hardly eaten in the preceding days. They're hungry!

I hope to go soon myself. I have some lures picked out for starters. I'm ready when the weather is willing. There's some big Rainbows in there too. I landed one just shy of 6.5 pounds. I lost one that was over 10 pounds. It hit a lead-core plug and rocketed to the surface and jumped. I think that it went about 5 feet high. Then it ran at the boat and slipped off the hook. So goes fishing. The next 4 months will be best. You just have to gradually fish deeper as time goes by. The Walleyes and Smallmouths will start coming back from upstream in about 4-6 weeks. I wanna go so bad!

·
Registered
727 Posts
mincmi, from Charlotte hit Watauga last week in muddy conditions. He only got 3 strikes but landed all 3 Lakers. One was 6 pounds, one over 7, and a 8.65 pounder. The 2 smaller ones looked like fat females in the 26-29 inch range. The big one looks male. It was long and thin. It looked 30-32 inches. I don't think he posts here. He mostly fishes Watauga and Jocassee Lakes. I've fished against him in some Trout tourneys year before last, before our world got turned upside down. I'm going either Monday or Tuesday. You can see his fish over at Tennessee Anglers Forum, Fishing The Trout Lakes 2021. I'd post a link but I'm not good at that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks! I appreciate the information....and look forward to hearing how you do. I will be fishing both Watauga and Nantahala Lakes for the first time this year. I am making plans for Both. Right now it's so busy that I can't get away.....but, I am respooling reels, ordering tackle and tying up new rigs to keep myself pacified. I have put together two larger rigs for Watauga.....and added some Kokanee specific lures and flies for Nantahala. I've even purchased Nectar, Anise, Garlic Salt and......I can't believe I'm saying this.....Shoepeg Corn! I got my order in from Amazon last week of 12 cans of Shoepeg Corn. I plan to test it on Both the Kokanee.....and the Triploid Trout.

After reading up on "Tuna Corn" and the Many other "Recipes".....I have a little more respect for Corn and Trout/Salmon than I used to have. I have always believed that it was Trout Pond and Bobber fare for kids. I'm going to give it a shot this year as an attractant. I also have read that small Salad Shrimp can work well.

As always.....Much to Learn.....Good Fishing!....D

41 - 44 of 44 Posts