NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been sick all weekend and missed an opportunity to fish this weekend but have caught up on some reading laying in bed and watching tv. Anyway got to thinking about sheepshead and was wondering if there's anywhere on the coast to target these during the winter months. I've read some catching them in the winter but most are older posts nothing in recent years. Was wondering if anyone has done so and where about. Clearly the winter trout fishing is not my gig.
Thanks in advance.
Nick

·
Registered
768 Posts
The marina where I live has sheeps all over the place in the summertime. Here in the past few weeks playing around on the docks, at night with an underwater light, there is not a single one. Only trout and other small creatures.

I think they move to near shore wrecks in the winter. But I'm not 100 percent on that, I just know they go somewhere. Late June is when we started noticing them around the docks pretty heavy.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
In the Morehead area the port wall, the Beaufort bridge, and the CALO Jetty will hold Sheeps as well as tautog. Most of the Sheeps will however run on the small side. The bigger ones are sitting on the nearshore wrecks and reefs and are just about impossible to catch due to their location on the structure.

Winter trout fishing really isn't all that hard. Don't over think it. Cast a 17mr or 3ds minnow out next to the bank and reel it in as slow as you can. Don't even twitch it. You'll get bit....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well looks like I'll be holding out on the sheephead till spring and be back at the trout again first weekend in feb. I gotta come across them at some point

·
Registered
940 Posts
Are the Tautog mostly at Calo jetty or can I kayak to the bridges for them? Wishing I had some green crabs..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never used artificial stuff like 17mr or the 3ds minnows

what colors are best in late winter and early spring?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.