NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You would be a step ahead of the game to use a short length of flourocarbon in the 30-50# range. not knowing what you are after I can't be specific but spanish seem to shy from wire more so than bluefish. I haven't caught enough muskie and pickerel to say how they react to wire but I know you don't have to use it to catch them . Use an albright special and a loop knot.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I have seen wire leaders made simply by attaching the wire to a heavy leader using albrights and or Bimini twists, then using a Haywire twist to the fly. The problem is wire leaders make it difficult to Turn the fly over. Especially at the end of long cast.

Like Sinkerman, I'm a fan of using fluorocarbon. I was fishing with a guide for Snook in Fl,when I pulled out my rig the first thing he asked me was what kind of leader do you have? When I told him that I had a 15# 9ft tapered leader, he grabbed the leader and cut off the last 2 ft. Then he tied one 12 inches or so of 20# fluorocarbon.I watched that guide land a 3 Ft Lemon Shark on a 30# Fluorocarbon set up in Fl, last year. I,ve since caught Blues, Spanish, Snook and Specks on that set up without a break. If the flouro get a little worn just snip it off and tie a new one on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.