NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
big blow rolling in right now hope ya'll found some!

Reactions: Neptune

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll post the full report tomorrow (unless I go fishing again!), but let me just tease y'all with this: It was AWESOME! only 5 fish in the boat, but not bad for just over 3 hours of fishing. My 9 year old caught his first NC fish. 3 striper, 1 flounder, and a gar, which was really cool.

Finished up the trip at blackwater jacks for lunch. Man, we had a great time. The wind was brutal, but the fishing was great!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here's a fuller report:

We got a late start since the weather was pretty rough, which meant I had time to enjoy a cup of coffee with my wife before heading out. Always a good start to a day. Took my oldest son, but with some trepidation after reading the wind advisory and watching gusts bend trees over on the way to Washington. Got to Blackwater Jacks parking lot and noticed two things - it was empty, but Blackwater Jacks was open for the season. Note to self - good back up plan if the fishing is impossible.

Just after we launched, we ran across another guy coming in. I asked him how he'd done and he said he'd gotten skunked - not a single bite. Not a good sign.

We started fishing at the railroad trestle, but after a few casts, I just wasn't feeling the love, so we headed straight for spot number one. The wind was truly howling here, but I have to give the iPilot credit. It kept us locked in perfectly and allowed us to fish. I got a bump, then my son did, and then it was on! Confidence soared and I had the first striper of the day on the line! He came mysteriously unbuttoned at boat side, but was too small to keep anyway. A few more casts and I hooked up again, and this time gave the rod to my son, who lit up at the prospect of actually catching something.

A few casts later, I caught a nice gar. I don't care what people say, that sucker was a fun fight!

We headed to spot #2, and things REALLY got fun. This was an old broken down dock near some deeper water, and the action was awesome, though we only landed one striper and a flounder. I was surprised by the flounder this time of year that far upriver, but we had enough suspicious bites to make me think that he wasn't alone.

Two more spots and one more fish later we headed back upriver. By this time, the wind was ABSOLUTELY howling and I was glad to have 18.5 feet of boat length. We were able to skim over the tops of most of the whitecaps and the ride was surprisingly dry.

We finished the day with lunch at Blackwater Jacks and both of us were grinning from ear to ear.

Here are some pics from the day:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.