NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeitgeber: An environmental agent or event that provides the cue for setting or resetting a biological clock.

Dafodils are the first flowers to pop up in the Spring. They bloom because of warmer weather, longer periods of daylight and who knows what else. Fish are using some of the same cues to migrate or move into the shallows or upriver to spawn or whatever their respective species are supposed to do.

The other day I told my wife that we probably would not get into the crappie in the shallow areas we were going to fish at Jordan during the Cub Scout Fishing Derby. When she asked why, I told her because the dogwoods haven't bloomed yet. Of course, she thought I was crazy. I don't remember when or where I orginally heard that the crappie don't move into the shallows to spawn until the dogwoods bloom, but I know it's always been the hint to go get some minnows. I know the crappie don't start feeling romantic when they see the pretty white blossoms. However, the natural zeitgebers that tell the dogwoods to go white or pink are the same indicators that make the crappie start singing "Let's Get It On".

I wrote all this to ask, do any of you either agree/disagree with the dogwood theory or know of other fish related zeitgebers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
PH--- When the cows are standing in the pasture grazing-- the fish are biting. When the cows are lying down in the pasture and not grazing--fish are not biting.

That's my zeitgeber and I'm sticking to it!:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fojoloy said:
When the cows are standing in the pasture grazing-- the fish are biting. When the cows are lying down in the pasture and not grazing--fish are not biting.
Forrest, we need to check that one against major/minor bite times. I bet they coincide ;).

I think Seabiscuit's got a theory about catawba worms. I'll get him to put it up here when he gets a chance.

My wife is convinced the little yellow butterflies in the salt marshes are a sign of a good bite. Since we've been fishing the White Oak, she says she's hasn't caught fish unless they fluttering around.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zooker said:
wind from the west fishin is at it's best...
That reminds me of another poem. Not really "fishing" related, but I've heard many fisherman and sailors use it, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning!" Red morning sky always means a storm's about to blow, esp. out to sea.

And as far as weather predictions go, if the cows are laying down, it's gonna rain.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've heard all these old sayings and have to say that they all ahve been proven factual. I have also heard that you can tell which way a blow is coming from by watching the critter as they will put their rear to it. My grandfather use to say that you could tell how deep the snow would be by how deep the squirrels buried their nuts and how hard a winner was going to be by the size of the orange band and where it was on a wooly worm. Worst part he was usually right but he was 3/4 Iroquios so that explains it to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.