NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not trying to bash anyone, but i took a trip out of oregon inlet fishing center, and it was rough seas and we understood that it would be a wet trip, i just asked for a safe trip, and it was anything but. we rode from the fishing center all the way up to duck, the capt. seemed to have no knowledge of what he was doing ,he took us to the exact spot he caught a few stripers the day before ,a three hour ride that was miserable , we found no fish and had rode past diving birds feeding to get to his spot, i do believe that the bait will move and the stripers will follow ,he was trying to get us to the place they got fish the day before while runnin over birds diving and catchable fish , this is just the start of the trip, we only trolled for an hour ,if we would have hooked a pinfish ,no one could have reeled it in ,this 27 foot dingy had us all hanging on for our lives,we caught no fish and was on a 8 hour charter for $645 dollars ,7 hours of the trip was riding an holding on for my life,the boat all but turned over on many occasions on the over three hour trip to oregon inlet,all of the four men fishin charter was experinced on the ocean from previous trips , all four of us was scared for our lives on the three hour ride in to the fishing center, to top it all off the captain runs the boat on to a sandbar right in front of the oregon inet fishing ,he decided to not follow the channel markers , because he does it all the time we had to be pulled of by another boat , after all of my group was thrown to front boat after a 20 knot dead stop, the captain admitted many time he should have not risked taking us out ,

what should i do about this ,i know they are no guarantees in fishin ,but the captain should provide a safe trip,and this was not ,any suggestions welcome , please advise

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
sorry to hear the bad experience... Sounds to me like either a back up plan could've been implemented since plan A wasnt workin... Sounds like it could've been rescheduled for another day too if it was that rough...

Unfortunately.. though it's that time of the season... winter NC fishin is definately combat fishin and can be uncomfortable when the weather isnt cooperating..

Sounds like y'all, including the Capt should've went another day.. Glad y'all are alright after all that. Probably safe to say you probably wont go on that boat again..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
First I would find out if the Capt is the owner of the boat/business. He may answer to someone and that is who I would contact. If he is the owner see if he books through a group/service and complain to them.
I would have had satisfaction before I came home but thats me. The longer you wait the worse chance of any return.
It is important when you charter you get a background on your Capt.
Sorry you got hold of a bad one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you sure this guy is a licensed Captain? From what you've said, it's a good bet he ain't, or if he is, sounds to me like he's certainly not familiar with the local waters, the striper fishery, or maybe not even sport fishing in general.

I guess the Captain's definition of "safe" is you made it back alive. You said the trip was out of the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Seems to me the fishing center should have knowledge of and only allow experienced and well respected Captains work out of the center.

The captain of that boat, whoever he is, is completely and individually responsible for the safety of the crew - that's his primary concern - to heck with the fish. That said, (and I know sometimes we get caught offshore when the seas take a drastic turn for the worse) from what you've described, I'd expect a reputable skipper to have known and expected what his boat and the seas would likely present themselves on that or any day. Anyway, if he didn't, at some point early in that trip, he should have recognized the situation and returned to the dock, and (IMO) offered a make up trip or at least a partial refund.

Dave

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
It doesn't take much for that area to become rough, and when it gets rough it gets rough. As far as the sandbar goes, I can take you on the icw right now where the channel marker is in two foot of water. Sandbars shift all of the time. Not trying to take up for the guy, but things happen. I would check my next guide out a little better.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Here's a checklist I ran across of questions to ask a charter captain/guide before the trip:
  • Are you properly insured and licensed with the Coast Guard and registered with the State?
  • How long has the captain or guide been fishing in this area?
  • Can you supply any references who live in my area?
  • What is the season for the species I want to catch?
  • What is the best time of the season for improving my chances of success?
  • How long are your fishing trips? When do you depart and return?
  • How many fish can I expect to catch and what is their size?
  • What is the limit for the species we will catch?
  • What kind of fishing will we be doing?
  • How do I get a fishing license? Do you sell them?
  • Does your rate include fish cleaning and/or filleting of the catch?
  • How will I get my catch home?
  • Do you provide packaging and freezing or can you direct me to the appropriate services for this?
  • What should I bring with me?
  • What do you supply for the fishing trip?
  • How big is your boat and how many other fishermen will be present?
  • Does your boat have a head? Heated cabin?
  • How much deposit do you require?
  • What is your policy if I decide to cancel?
  • What is your policy if you cancel due to weather?
  • Do you accept credit cards?
  • What is your rate? Do you have discounts for multiple trips or large groups?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
dbarney-- It was an expensive lesson--In due time you will look back on it as a great adventure--At least that was my take on a similar situation I got into many years ago.:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Dang,, if I still had my boat,, I'd of took y'all out for half of that, still beat ya up,, but you'd of caught fish!... :)

Big Jim (Tadpole) can vouch for my rough weather fishin tactics... :eek:
We had bad weather almost every trip in 2007.. (gale warning/high winds/thunder boomer's and one out of the no where washmachine). Like Forrest said,, memorable for sure! Still sorry to hear of your bad experience and glad y'all made it back to the dock at least in one piece....

Hey Jim, remember these? :D What, took you guys 2 days to dry out? ha ha hahah... ;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thats the truth Dave, I can't imagine dbarneys1971 weather being like ours was but I feel sorry for him if it was. Your first photo tells the height of the seas, sissy little 8 ft seas. The big difference is the fish you put us on, what? 15 or so Mahi. I bet my hurling matter still floats in the Atlantic somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.