NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes...This is an addendum to my previous topic (worst repair).
I do have an example. Recently, I have been doing odds and ends on my Wellcraft to get finish getting her seaworthy.

Sunday (That's what I get for skipping church), I was going to reinstall the center deck piece that goes over belly tank. That particular piece is approximately 6' long by 2 1/2' wide. The wood had rotted under the glass so I removed all that rot and glassed in a fresh piece of 3/4" marine 7 ply. So, as you can imagine it had some weight to it. This deck piece also has a hatch (2'x2') that is 1/2" thick solid fiberglass...pretty heavy itself for a hatch.

I had the hatch open while hefting the deck piece up over the gunnel so I'd have a place to grab it. I had my hands up over the edge the of deck piece and fingers wrapped around hatch cutout. Once I had the deck over the side of the boat and before I started tilting the deck inside the boat I slid my hands back so my fingers were clear should the hatch go past vertical and shut. Well, the deck was tilted in and so I lifted it the rest of the way up and that hatch SLAMMED shut and it turns out that my left ring finger was MOST of the way out.

4 hours later I came home from the ER with the last 3/4" of my finger reattached with ten stitches. I've got 48 hour quarters and a bottle of Motrin so it could be worse. Plus my wife is waiting on me like I'm at a 5 star resort :p

Any of you have unfortunate mishaps while working on your beloved boat? Sorry for the long post...it took me along time to type it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Building boats it's not uncommon for something to look whopper jawed. The more you look at it the more it looks whopper jawed.
You put the squares on it and it appears true, straight, and level. At that point you break out the precision tools from Germany. You use those multiple times until you have all faith that it is indeed true, straight, and level.

I would have to say without prejudice, hangovers.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Drilled a hole in my palm Sunday myself drilling through the gunnel side for a zip strip to tie up some wiring. Total idiot absent minded move that Ive done before and will do again Im sure..LOL.. I have always been one to be clumsy and lax on using safety equipement. I have sliced my wrist almost to the bone on a sheet metal quarter panel working on a ranchero. You can notice I have a scar that looks like I tried to commit suicide, lol, been fun explaining that over the years. Ive had metal and fiberglass shavings removed from my eyes in the ER, welder burned my eyes more than once, been sliced and diced and skint a million times, and spend 4 hrs trapped under a toyota pickup that slipped off a jackstand while I was man handling in a rear axle. I finally heard the mailman in the front yard and yelled bloddy murder until he came looking for the noise.. Oh and when working on your boat, it is very easy to get distracted and either walk backwards off or stumble off the deck onto the ground below especially with low gunnels. Done that too more than once as well as walking off the roof of a horse trailer I was painting. I should have been a stuntman....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drilled a hole in my palm Sunday myself drilling through the gunnel side for a zip strip to tie up some wiring. Total idiot absent minded move that Ive done before and will do again Im sure..LOL.. I have always been one to be clumsy and lax on using safety equipement. I have sliced my wrist almost to the bone on a sheet metal quarter panel working on a ranchero. You can notice I have a scar that looks like I tried to commit suicide, lol, been fun explaining that over the years. Ive had metal and fiberglass shavings removed from my eyes in the ER, welder burned my eyes more than once, been sliced and diced and skint a million times, and spend 4 hrs trapped under a toyota pickup that slipped off a jackstand while I was man handling in a rear axle. I finally heard the mailman in the front yard and yelled bloddy murder until he came looking for the noise.. Oh and when working on your boat, it is very easy to get distracted and either walk backwards off or stumble off the deck onto the ground below especially with low gunnels. Done that too more than once as well as walking off the roof of a horse trailer I was painting. I should have been a stuntman....
Jeez yeah you've done some damage. When I was an A&P mechanic I put a 1/4" diameter (#10) drill bit all the way through my thumb (8" long bit). Doc took a polaroid that I still have....as well as the drill bit

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was small mouth fishing in oregon a few years back from a drift boat. while navigating some small rapids we bounced off a rock and i lost my balance. i grabbed the closest thing to me to keep from falling. that just so happened to be a a rod with a large three hook rapala tied to it. as you guessed it all three of those hooks embedded themselve in the palm of my hand. i got two of them out myself but the third was to deep and move. the closest ER was three hours away, so i went to an urgent care that was about an hour from the ramp. four numbing shots and some rusty old plires still couldnt get it out. we had to cut it out. I saw we because the doctor was allowed to cut, only stitch, he left the room as my father in-law cut my finger open with a box cutter. 5 stitches later we were back on the water. still one of the best days of fishing i have ever had. landed over 300 smallies between the two of us. if you have never fished the umqua river then you are missing out.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I should let one of my kids tell it because it is a favorite I told you so story...

The boat in question was actually a home built raft for the 3rd year Y father/child program. They have a race at spring camp. I was making pontoons out of concrete forms (you cannot use actual boat building materials; it is supposed to be a fun/silly race) and I was cutting at an angle to make kickers at the front end using a very sharp Japanese saw very late at night.
"Dad, it's getting late. You should stop."
"I am just going to finish cutting this one."
a few minutes later I am in the ER getting several stitches between my thumb and forefinger. I just touched but did not sever the tendon, so it could have been worse.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Oh thats only the beginning. I have crashed several cars, both on and off the racetrack, one was end over end at 120mph + on US-1 , Fell aslep behind the wheel and hit an oak tree and the impact pushed the engine into the passenger seat and I pushed the dash thru the windshield, hit a cow on a motorcycle, fallen off a 2 story roof and a barn. Flipped a tractor in a ditchbank, been thrown from 2 horses, flipped 2 riding mowers, stunt rode dirtbikes and had many crashes. I think the best thing to ever happen to me was getting old and fat, it slowed me down..LOL!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oh thats only the beginning. I have crashed several cars, both on and off the racetrack, one was end over end at 120mph + on US-1 , Fell aslep behind the wheel and hit an oak tree and the impact pushed the engine into the passenger seat and I pushed the dash thru the windshield, hit a cow on a motorcycle, fallen off a 2 story roof and a barn. Flipped a tractor in a ditchbank, been thrown from 2 horses, flipped 2 riding mowers, stunt rode dirtbikes and had many crashes. I think the best thing to ever happen to me was getting old and fat, it slowed me down..LOL!!
i will never ride in a car of boat with sundrop hahahahaha

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
All of that and you were just fine, but nearly died from Deet poisoning while fishing with me for old drum.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I was working on a portable gas tank hose many years ago. Had just gotten off the midnight shift. Things were not going very well. Got really angry, kicked the tank. I was thinking I had my safety shoes with the steel toes on, but had changed to a soft toe shoe. It hurt so bad, I was afraid to take my shoe off. Heard a lot of snickering coming from inside the house from my wife and son. That stopped just before I came in. Finally checked my toe, and it was bloody as all get out. I survived, but never let myself get that angry again. Anyone who has ever worked that shift probably knows you aren't yourself when working that shift.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was working on a portable gas tank hose many years ago. Had just gotten off the midnight shift. Things were not going very well. Got really angry, kicked the tank. I was thinking I had my safety shoes with the steel toes on, but had changed to a soft toe shoe. It hurt so bad, I was afraid to take my shoe off. Heard a lot of snickering coming from inside the house from my wife and son. That stopped just before I came in. Finally checked my toe, and it was bloody as all get out. I survived, but never let myself get that angry again. Anyone who has ever worked that shift probably knows you aren't yourself when working that shift.
Amen to that. I've been working shift work for almost 20 years. Not on nights shift the whole time but, moving shifts and days off. Ill blame my choice of boats on that!!
I wear steel toes everyday too and more than once have I just casually kicked at or nudged something with my foot only to realize I am off duty and wearing sneakers. Don't think I've ever kicked anything, much less a metal tank, full force!! dogonit, I felt my toes hurt when I read that

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That was one experince I will never forget. I am forever greatful you toughed it out with me !!

All of that and you were just fine, but nearly died from Deet poisoning while fishing with me for old drum.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Been a second shifter for 8 years straight. I love it in more ways than I hate it but the longer I work it the more it has an effect on me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts