NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to organize a charter trip for my father, my 3 uncles, my brother, and myself. We are looking to CATCH tuna. We have been on a few charters in the past and have had no luck with them. We would like to go sometime around father's day 2015. So...I would appreciate it if ya'll could point me in the right direction so that my family can actually ENJOY this charter trip!!!

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
A friend of mine speaks pretty highly of Pelagic out of Atlantic beach. It is docked right next to Capt Stacy. If you want to specifically target tuna, you might want to ask the captain what the best time of year is for them and fish in that time frame or find a captain who feels pretty good about putting them in the boat when you are wanting to go.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You need to make your charter around the fish, not YOUR schedule.
Father's Day - great time of year for Mahi & Wahoo. Both can be about as enjoyable as it gets, especially dolphin on light tackle. Want a big tuna, might want to gamble on a winter trip. Yep, there are tuna to be caught in summer, but other species are more reliable.

Also the closer you are to the fish when you leave the dock, the more time you have to fish(instead of ride)........just sayin

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you want tuna that time of year, you really need to consider making the trip down to the Gulf. I'd get a charter out of Golden Meadow or Port Fourchon, Louisiana. You could also spend a night or two in New Orleans on the way back ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much. That's really what we are looking for: a reliable catch, good fight, something we can take home with us and that is good eating!! The DATE itself isn't the issue, i was just giving a general time frame so that the people who responded would have an idea. So, are wahoo or mahi able to be harvested? and are they good to eat?

Thank for the help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you want tuna you need to go out of Oregon Inlet, Pirates Cove or Wanchese. Try and get on a boat with a "green stick" to better your chances.

It seems like Morehead and points south rarely get tuna any more.

Tuna fishing can be feast/famine. If you want to catch a lot of fish about that time of year you could also go out of Hatteras or Morehead and very likely catch lots of dolphin/mahi mahi. THey are a great eating fish and can put on a showy fight with jumping vs staying deep like a tuna.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ditto on the Oregon Inlet fleet. I have seen them come in numerous times in early October with limits of yellowfins. You have to make reservations up to a year in advance. I have no idea about Father's day time of year so its best to call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts