NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this afternoon to my honey hole that has been nothing but great to me the past week. I wanted to get out, hopefully catch a big one, and leave before the normal summer afternoon storms moved in. Well I got in return was more than I could have asked for...I went to work with the trusty c-rig with junebug trick worm around the deepest end of the pond. I was focusing on a drop off I knew about where it goes from 4-6ft, to 8ft, and then to 12ft all in one area. Well I cast out to the 8ft area, look down, look up and begin to reel in slack and notice that my line has gone so far right it is almost at the bank:eek:!! I quickly reel it up set the hook and the fight is on! I knew this was one huge and the aerial displays were amusing and heart attacks every single jump. I finally lipped her and noticed the worm was deep and she was bleeding. Quickly, I get the hook out, weigh her, measure, pictures, get her more water, and a runner comes by and takes more pictures for me. She weighed in at 8lb 1oz and 23.5''!! My personal best in my life so far!! I was elated but this is where the story takes a turn for the worse...I go to release and start to move her left to right and she doesn't kick at all...I spend the next 30 minutes or more trying to revive her and trying to get her to swim on her own. In the end, she didn't make it:(. My original plan was to get a replica mount for her but now instead of letting the turtles get her or eat her, I am unfortunately going to mount her. I wish I could have saved her but I know that there are more big ones in this pond for the future!

Hawg

Thanks for Reading!
Tight Lines :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow! You been doing pretty good lately. Sucks that pig didn't make it. Had a similar incident today with a 3.5er.....except mine swam away. Swallowed the hook and it was leaking! rushed to get it back in the water and it was fine. A lot of the times though those big pigs wont survive due to the fight and energy they've used. At least it didn't go to waste though!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Way to go man reviving a bleeding fish is hard and seems like you tried your best. You are killing them lately I am going to have to spend more time with c rigs all I am getting lately are dinks. Problem is I am not sure I can toss line far enough to get I to the deepest parts of the lake were the big ones are hiding.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Way to go man reviving a bleeding fish is hard and seems like you tried your best. You are killing them lately I am going to have to spend more time with c rigs all I am getting lately are dinks. Problem is I am not sure I can toss line far enough to get I to the deepest parts of the lake were the big ones are hiding.
Don't let those big girls fool you into thinking they're always in the deep holes.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Been catching some beast lately in shallow waters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.