NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 5-6hp outboard for my sons little boat. Fairly new is what I want but if it's in great shape I'll consider one a little older.

I've found literally 5 of these engines and they are sold by the time I can go look at them. PM me if you have anything. Preferably local, I live in the morehead area.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Long or short shaft?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
length has to work with transom height. I assume youre talking a 10 jon? short should do. Long sits too deep in the water for you and causes drag issues and poor performance.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
West Marine has a nifty solar and or propane outboard perfect for him about $2k ;)

Yea, I stopped in the other day thinking them little motors can't be but so much.......to my surprise, I was very wrong. And yea them electric ones are ridiculous! Deep pockets and brickphil are two things that normally don't go together. lol

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The hay day was the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Plans were published after WW2 in some of the boating magazines and popular mechanics. It was a hit with returning soldiers. Since then it's spread pretty thin which is why all the travelling.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
how big is it rated for? and how small is too small for your preference. I see some little 2.5 and 3.3 etc from time to time cheap, and don't overlook the old evinrude 9.9 no matter how old, they are awesome motors and a little paint can make them look great.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how big is it rated for? and how small is too small for your preference. I see some little 2.5 and 3.3 etc from time to time cheap, and don't overlook the old evinrude 9.9 no matter how old, they are awesome motors and a little paint can make them look great.

It's rated for a 5 but I'm sure a 6+ isn't going to hurt anything. 2.5 is certainly not out of the question but is on the small end. The whole stern inside is reinforced with 3/4 plywood, I'm not so sure a 9.9 would be overkill. Weight may be the only issue.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Transoms are under rated. They do that for liability.
I have a 79 model 16' Cobia Scout plate rated from the factory for 180 horses.....which would be real insane for that boat. Most of these boats had a 100 or less horses hanging on them. Yea, I had to break out the magnifying glass to verify that one when I was restoring it.

The problem with overpowering the plate falls into the realm of consumer liability.
You can look up the weights of motors online.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.