NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's extremely last minute, but Ramond Wells and I plan on trying out Yadkin Memorial Park (Lake Hampton) tomorrow in the AM with all the rivers being blown out.

We'll both be in yaks and plan on getting there between 7 and 8. If anyone sees this in time feel free to meet us at the launch tomorrow, or just find us out there and say hi!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We both went yesterday but I was incredibly late. Combination of a few things, sorry again Ray.

I wasn't all that impressed, at least not from a fishing standpoint. Ray said he wound up with a bream but I was skunked. Water was extremely muddy with all the rain, and the wind was blowing me all over the lake.

Nice park, though, with nice facilities. One side looks like it has a decent amount of woody cover, but the other has a lot of bare banks. Apparently the best spot is around the rip rap near the dam. Sounds like some hogs have been caught.

I'm also pretty bad when it comes to lakes and reservoirs of any significant size (like larger than a pond) so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Wound up stopping by a friend's Yadkin County pond on the way back to salvage my day. Spend some time getting comfortable with my bait caster, which I've been using for about a week, and slammed some smallish bass on top water poppers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
A lot of people I was talking to said things were great a couple months ago but have slowed down as the weather heated up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That's the usual ebb and flow of things. Also, as the weather has warmed there has been, as always, an exponential increase in boats on the water. Kind of makes sense. I usually take what others say with a grain of salt, especially with fishing. I try and form my own conclusion; that conclusion usually differs from what others tell me. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

·
Registered
529 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with PL-566 lakes like this is they are designed to store flood waters in order to protect downstream crops. They generally have large drainage areas, most of which will be in ag. use. These lakes can rise quite a bit, and stay high and muddy for a while after a rainfall event.

For the most part, the middle of the lakes are devoid of structure. They are designed for maximum storage capacity, so they clear out as much as possible. You'll still have points and such, but there are no stump fields or anything like that. We have access to a privately owned watershed lake nearby, but it's much older than the Yadkin one. I'd say a good 90% of the bass we catch there comes from fallen trees around the bank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thinking of giving this lake a try next week....Any updates now that the lake has been open for a while.....fishing spots, rip-rap at dam, fishing the creek flowing into the lake. thanks. don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.