NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I've been waiting for this. Bass fishing had been good from what I understand. It's been stocked for a few years now. I've got an annual pass. $5 to launch every time without buying the $30 pass. Crappie, bass, redear, bluegill and channel cats have been stocked. Threadfin shad also. 138 or so acres. Electric only. Two docks for public use but no bank fishing otherwise. Bait and tackle shop right on the lake. Nice ramp. One for yaks and one for boats.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I wanted to take the wife there so she could paddle around and not have worry about speed boats while I fish.
I went to check it out a couple Sundays ago and there was only a few boats out there on the water. It was beautiful that day and very warm out. Lots of people using the actual park trails and kiddy area though.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode up there during lunch one day last week and there were several boat trailers and pick ups in the landing area, but I did not see anyone out on the water. I am looking forward to taking the kayak up there.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I road up there during lunch one day last week and there were several boat trailers and pick ups in the landing area, but I did not see anyone out on the water. I am looking forward to taking the kayak up there.
The place is surprisingly big. There's quite a bit of water there that you can't see from the parking area. Bigger the better. Less cramped.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad to see people are getting some info. There had been numerous posts on this before the opening, so it's cool to hear people have looked into it.

I'll definitely be there once I get home from school, and I might have to consider the pass. An annual pass there is about the same price as fishing Salem Lake (which I imagine is pretty similar) 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if they'd consider putting hybrids in.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Glad to see people are getting some info. There had been numerous posts on this before the opening, so it's cool to hear people have looked into it.

I'll definitely be there once I get home from school, and I might have to consider the pass. An annual pass there is about the same price as fishing Salem Lake (which I imagine is pretty similar) 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if they'd consider putting hybrids in.
They may consider it at some point. I wouldn't mind. It just opened though so I'd say it may be a while.

I want to hit Salem at some point.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I imagine the two will play out pretty similarly based on their sizes and locations. Salem does have hybrids and flatheads, though.

The yadkin reservoir will probably be more peaceful and remote. Salem Lake has hundreds of people using the trail around it on any given day, not that it bothers me that much. As others have mentioned in the past though, the double dipping, charging to launch a boat and to fish, can be a pain.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I imagine the two will play out pretty similarly based on their sizes and locations. Salem does have hybrids and flatheads, though.

The yadkin reservoir will probably be more peaceful and remote. Salem Lake has hundreds of people using the trail around it on any given day, not that it bothers me that much. As others have mentioned in the past though, the double dipping, charging to launch a boat and to fish, can be a pain.
I want a hybrid in the yak.

They charge to fish and to launch separately at Salem?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yup. I think it winds up being like $8-9. And I'm not sure about the annual pass, but it's a lot more than $30, iirc.

I caught one that was probably a couple pounds out of there last summer, and even then I thought I hooked something big. I'd like to pursue them specifically.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Yup. I think it winds up being like $8-9. And I'm not sure about the annual pass, but it's a lot more than $30, iirc.

I caught one that was probably a couple pounds out of there last summer, and even then I thought I hooked something big. I'd like to pursue them specifically.
What did the one hit that you caught?

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.