NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for letting me be apart of your community.I have mostly surf fished as long as I can remember, but recently got into kayaks and kayak fishing...It's a blast and I can't wait to get some tips on fishing rivers,waterways and lakes. There are so many places you can go with a kayak that I never thought possible. I'm only a couple hours away from Wrightsville, so I want to learn AMAP about the area and where to yak fish.
Tight lines,
Robert

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Re: New to NC

Sorry, I posted at the wrong place!!!! Guess you can tell I'm a newbie
Nothing your friendly neighborhood moderator can't fix :).

Welcome to NCangler, Robert, and welcome to kayak fishing. There are a good number of kayak anglers out here willing to give help and there's been a lot of posting in the kayak forums recently. (if you haven't already...) Do some searches for areas you are interested in. I'm pretty sure that Druminator had posted some details about kayak fishing in Wrightsville.

I tried Wrightsville once this summer and found it a bit unfriendly for kayak launching. I had intended to try surf launching but the seas were ugly that day. I headed to the inshore side and found no single vehicle spaces available at the public boat launch. And the drawbridge was up, so traffic was snarled. Eventually I wound up making my own launch at the gas station on the northern entry to the island. Had to drop the gear off and park elsewhere. Then didn't catch anything but pinfish. I'm sure I might have been better off with a little more local knowledge myself!

What kind of kayak you have?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's scary, Dave, picturing these guys wearing Nun's Habits...

Anyhow, Robert, welcome aboard! I've been paddling a 12' Manta Ray for a year and a half now, and have enjoyed every outing. Keep in touch, hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up sometime.
Lefty

PS: If your pencil can reach that far out, see if you can keep a Saturday in late June open. Druminator's working on the second annual Kayak Fishing NC meet'n'greet -- I think he's looking at one of the last two Saturdays.

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Welcome aboard Robert. You'll find a lot of good kayakers here who are very open to helping someone learn.

I'm in Greenville and fish quite a bit of the coast but the Wilmington area is my favorite. I'm trying to move back as soon as possible because I miss the fishing so much.

The Meet and Greet is in the works as Lefty said. It's a good event to come meet paddlers from all over NC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all...I own a Manta Ray 10 thats almost 11' and a Pungo 140 also. Still trying to set up for fishing, but have not quite decided if I want to keep the Manta Ray...its nice, but wish I had a 12'....Anyway, I'll pencil in June and I'm sure I will here more about it on this site...see ya...Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.