NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, lets get this thread started! Anybody out there interested in exchanging info on locations, and techniques for coastal kayak fishing.....

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm just getting outfitted. I'm planning to start fishing aroud Fort Fisher as soon as warms a little more. Are you catching anything yet?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had our second daughter in November...been tied up with that, but I'll be down at the coast May 20-27th(Ocean Isle area).hoping to get a few solid days of fishing in. I was also hoping to get in on the "crappie" bit before the end of April...at Falls Lake Or Jordan. Where are you located? What kind of kayak and set up are you going for?
I love the Pungo 140 (Wilderness Systems) good size, speed, and only 53 pounds...etc. I have one of those wrist watch depth finders....its "ok" for knowing depth and contour...etc...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I live in Fayetteville. I just bought a Tarpon 120 and have been to Lake Jordan working on getting used to it. I have an Eagle 320 fishfinder portable coming in this week. I've been reading some articles on mounting the transducer in the hull, I plan to try that this weekend.

I hope to try out some crappie at Jordan as soon as possible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a good kayak man, I looked at those too, but figured I wanted a "sit in" for cold weather, truth is, I think the sit on top is a better fishing set up for a lot of reasons, #1 when I am on the coast, I end up bailing a lot. Good luck with the transducer, I like my wireless system, but it is limited in capability and your set up will give you much better visibility than my little wrist watch! I am hoping the crappie are biting on Jordan. I go up near Robeson creek where the Haw empties into the lake. I have had some really good outings there. Do you have a particular spot you fish on Jordan?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I've never really spent enough time at Jordan to learn alot about it. I launched from the boat ramp at Poe's Ridge a couple of weeks ago, and paddled around for awhile without catching anything. I might give it another try on Sunday if the weather holds out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tarpon 12

I really think kayak fishing is going to catch on quickly in NC. We have fantastic bodies of water to fish at the coast, and there is no better way to get to them than by kayak.

I have done a ton of research on the different fishing kayak manufacturers and models, and I am finally about to buy at Tarpon 12.

I currently have a price quote of about $950 for the boat, paddle, PFD, 2 flush mounted rod holders, another rod holder in the front, rudder system, anchor system, and paddle holder. This is through Great Outdoors in Raleigh.

Does anyone know any other sellers of this boat, I am trying to find a more competitive price...

Pablo

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I'd love to see some of you guys post reviews of some of your favorite Kayak fishing gear. If there is a specific kayak like the Tarpon 12 that someone would like to review, let me know and I'll post a photo of it so you can review. The goal is to develop the "Reviews" section of the site with product information that will benefit fellow NC anglers. So email or send me a PM (Private Message) with products you'd like to review or that you'd like to see a review of. ;)

ptorresb, be sure to contact fellow NC angler member "Paddle Pamlico", owner of the Paddle-Sports Shop in Oriental, NC (www.paddlepamlico.com). I don't know if he carries the Tarpon on what his price is but it couldn't hurt to check. :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. It's a good old "old man" kayak ,light and open. I added built in rod holders. I use a small laundry bag with draw string to carry tackle ,packed in plastic bags(no noise). I have LARGE laundry bag tied to kayak to keep my catch alive. This is my boat of choice when I'm at the coast baching it up. I have had it for six years. I have found that you can slip up to a tidal creek and put a fly or ultra light right amonst them before they know what's going on. I really regret that I didn't get into kayak fishing much earlier. It is altogether a different fishing experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sit-on-top vs. sit-in

You've had your sit-in Pungo for quite some time now. Do you wish you had a sit-on-top, or is the sit-in a real advantage during the colder months?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
May be set in my ways but I prefer the sit-in. So far I have been able to stay dry.(knocking on wood) My main reason is that I can store my equipment inside hull while transporting and fishing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Pablo,
I think that quote on the Tarpon 120 is pretty good considering the PFD and the paddle. Make sure you get a backrest though, if you go with a sit on top.
I also recommend you make sure the PFD has a little cut away in the back for a back rest to fit better...trust me it makes a BIG difference.

I have a Pungo 140 (i bought it from Great Outdoors in Raleigh last year), its pretty light, at ~53lbs. I highly recommend it. You can stay fairly dry if you want, and you have lots of space...(dry bulkhead in the back)etc. I had the fishing package they offer put on..with rod holders and anchor system..etc.

I have been in some high winds and chop in it on the coast, and it cuts right through. If you were going to do a lot river fishing..I would recomend a Pamlico.series....etc. Can you tell I am a WS fan...:)

I would love to see some posts on good kayak fishing locations......if anybody out there is willing to share....:) Fresh water = I recommend Beaver Dam on Falls Lake outside Raleigh NO Jetskis or Motor boats allowed!!! Saltwater....well I am still trying to figure that one out...I fished Ocean Isle a couple weeks ago, but spent most my time trying to avoid being run over by jet ski's and huge boats....

Later,
Mose

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about that quote, I upgraded from a Mallard to a Tarpon 120 in April. Get Outdoors in Greensboro was having a sale,they usaully have 2 a year at each location, and I picked up my 120 for under $675. I don't agree with all the packages they try to throw in with it. Wilderness Systems makes great boats but like everyone else the designers are paddlers that occasionaly fish.
If you're planning on fishing waters where you don't get out and wade much the Hobie Mirrage is hard to beat. Having your hands free and providing propultion with leg muscles will give you more fishing time and tire you out less.
Personally when smallmouth fishing I love my Tarpon 120 because it's so easy to slide out and wade the shoals. For small tight rivers my Mallard is hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm as new to Kayaking as anyone. I'm open to anyone who would like to meet at the coast and explore things.

I just left the Tampa area and it looks like nearly everyone there has an Kayak. There must be something to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are right about the $675. That's the base price of the Tarpon 120. Get Outdoors is throwing a paddle and PFD for a total of $695. Fishing kit (anchor trolley, 3 rod holders, paddle holder) + rudder installed = approx. $950.
Doesn't seem bad to me.

I can't wait to fish the Haystacks for red drum.

Pablo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Yak fishing the NC coast - Best Seat Backs?

Fine looking fishyak ptoresb & thanks for the picture. Get those reds. Anyone find a good seatback that they're thrilled with. Been looking at Surf to Summits GTS Elite for this old back. They're pricey at $175 for the fish one but worth it if they get it done for long days fishing. Other's likes/dislikes? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
RickZ,

the tarpon 120 comes with a VERY confortable built-in back rest. It folds down or flips up.
The only drawback is that depending on the kind of lifejacket you may be wearing, if any, the combination of back rest + jacket may not feel quite right on your back.
I only say that because I wear a PFD that I used originally for whitewater paddling, and it doesn't accomodate the back rest too good.
I am sure though that there are plenty of PFDs out there that would be more confortable.

Pablo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Yak fishing the NC coast, Seat Backs

Thanks Pablo. Your Tarpon seat back looks like a nice firm hinged poly one that I think I'd like but I have Heritage Ospreys to work with. They are nice boats & very similar to your Tarpon but unless I can figure out a way to hinge a poly one (poss an Ocean Kayaks one) I'll have to go with the firmest soft one I can find. Will think on it a bit. Also tks for the tip on the lift jacket fit. Will take my jackets (have a couple of types, reg & WW shorties) with me when I check out the seat backs. Tight Lines! Rick

1 - 20 of 47 Posts