NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many different things about running an outboard on ear muffs. Some say it's OK and some NOT. I do know it is not recommended to run the engine above idle when using the muffs. This motor does have the hose connection for flushing and your not supposed to run the motor on that connection which makes sense as it needs to go to the water pump first to avoid burning the impeller up. I am having a battery charging issue and would like to run it in the driveway for troubleshooting purposes.
- New battery, all connections clean, Yamaha gauge flashes 11.4 to 11.8 when running at 4000 RPM. Sometimes it reads where it is supposed to between 12 and 13.2. I want to test the regulator output while running in the driveway, hence the question above lol. The service manual says to check the connector at different RPM's and gives the output specs. I am trying to determine what thew issue is instead of throwing parts at it to save some cash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Man impellers are not that expensive. Put it on the muffs and run your tests. The motor will let you know if it gets hot.

I would not run for extended periods nor would I run it over 3k rpm.

I can assure you I have ran mine (2001) on muffs to troubleshoot.

Sent from my XT1080

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
fine to run on muffs, as stated pay attention to the pee stream and make sure your muffs don't slip off when you accelerate. (mine do) so you have to watch it. Don't run a lot of high rpm for long periods on the muffs but fine to check your output. Clean all of your connections and cables sounds like a corroded ground or plug.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure with the size of your motor, but I went out and bought a 30 gallon trash can and I fill it with water and run my motor in it for about 15 mins after every outing. I was "told" by where I bought my motor (and boat) that muffs were only safe for a couple minutes. No long explanation....just what he said. The trash can is working fine for me and my smaller 20HP but I would think if you can get your motor in a set up like that you would be better off.

I also took the time to go to Lowes and get some casters and built a base to set the water filled trash can on. You would be suprised how heavy that dang thing is and how much nice to roll full of water on casters.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies (as usual). All my connections are clean and greased. The only question remaining is where on the motor do I check the stator/generator/alternator lol output and what should it be BEFORE the voltage regulator ? I am going to check it out on Wednesday. I found a free service manual on line but it is a bit vague on test procedures and specifications. Thanks again and catch em up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.