NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Yamaha F115TXRB 625 hours. Voltage on Yamaha guage reads between 11.4 and 11.8. All connections cleaned, 1 new battery and another 1 year old battery with battery selector switch. Installed new battery as I thought one was bad when it started flashing less than 12 volts. Took it out and ran it for a few hours. Gauge said it was charging over 12 volts no matter which battery I selected. OK, problem solved or so I thought. Next time I took it out I could not get the gauge to stop flashing less than 12 volts. Here is what I am going to try.
1. Start the engine and meter the batteries while running and see if maybe it is the gauge. If reading is good (above 12 volts) and gauge is still showing less than 12 volts, Must be the gauge.
2. If not charging 12 or more than I am heading for the voltage regulator to see what I can see. I would like to know what the stator voltage is supposed to be as it comes into the regulator.
I don't want to just throw parts at this and spend money I do not have lol. This problem is intermittent but very troublesome. Any mechanics or someone who has had this issue please point me in the right direction.
PS I had this problem with an inboard/outboard 260HP many years ago. The engine would die and I swatted the regulator with a scrub brush and it would pick up and run fine for 30 minutes than back to the scrub brush lol. I'm going to smack this one and see what happens. If nothing else I will get some of my frustration out. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not familiar with that motor but most charging systems run between 16-18 volts before regulation. Intermittent problems are normally a loose connection or internally broken wire. The easiest way to check for a broken wire is to flex the wire back and forth while watching the readings on the meter. Check near any connectors first with a push/pull and flex, then work your way down the wire.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I disconnected the stator from the rectifier to test it then ran the motor. Dealer later said NEVER DO THAT. I may have fried the stator now but I did find a you tube video that shows how to test the rectifier so that is my next step. I have narrowed the problem down to those two items both of which are about $400 each. Hopefully it is not both lol. Will post more as I find out. Thanks again for your help and have a great day.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropped the boat off at anglers marine for troubleshooting. I figured an hour's labor is worth all the hair I pulled out of my head trying to figure this out without throwing a pile of money and parts at it. Bernard .... The battery switch appears to be OK. All connections are clean and Ohm checked good. I did check the positive and negative main connections at the rear of the boat before it even gets to the center console and it still shows 11.4 on the meter. Pretty sure the problem is at the motor somewhere. Hopefully it is "Something Stupid". Thank you all again. I'll update when I find out the issue.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Please let us know how it
turns out for education purposes!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Bernardo is sending me one, very helpful young man. The dealer (Anglers Marine) called and left a message. when I dropped the boat they quoted me 1-1-1/2 hrs to troubleshoot they charging issue. The message they left said it took 2 hours at $87.95/hr to troubleshoot. They confirmed what I had thought that it was the regulator/rectifier that is bad. They said it is $440.00 for the new part and 4 hours labor (at $87.95/hr) to change it out as you have to remove the flywheel. I found the same part, Yamaha OEM at boats.net for $121.00 and I removed this part from my motor in 10 minutes as it is NOT under the flywheel. One of two things are happening here: 1) it is the Stator that is bad and they have a communication issue OR 2) They are figuring I am just another stupid boat owner who is going to pay the price as I do not know any better. lol NOT going to happen as long as I have helpful people like this website membership to help us out. (I kind of hope it is option 2 as it a heck of allot cheaper). Thanks again and I will let you know what happens when I pick up the boat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just picked up my boat from Anglers Marine in Supply, on Rt. 17 S.DO NOT I repeat DO NOT GO THERE. They said the stator was bad and wanted $435.00 for the part and 4 hrs. labor at $87.85 to replace it. I said no thanks and then they charged me 1.9 hrs. labor after quoting me 1.5 hrs MAX. So I paid the $166.00+ and brought it home. I started it to see if anything had changed and it was still charging between 11.4 and 11.8 volts. So just out of curiosity I installed the regulator/rectifier Bernardo sent me and HELLO, 14.4 and nothing less that 12.2 volts. I cannot thank everyone enough for your help, parts and patience. Good thing there are people out there like you to help us idiots lol. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. The dealership was charging you what the manufacturer would pay them for warranty work. There is a set time for each job that the manufacturer pays the repair shop to do. If it says 4 hours, they charge 4 hours. Unfortunately for those with a motor not under warranty, they get away with charging the same amount of time. I was once quoted 2 hours of labor to pull the fuel rail and the fuel injectors on my motor. I did the job myself in less than 20 minutes. Called them and let them know that (I have a great working relationship with my mechanic at Crows Nest Marine) and he told me that's what they have to quote.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
When I worked for Ford as a tech ( yeah I know its cars but still) We hated doing warranty work because it paid a cut rate of hours vs owner paid work. I guess boats bill differently. I think in many cases garages of all types get used to getting away with murder because most folks don't have a clue about the repairs needed. Granted the overhead can be crazy, but still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.