NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this on the last few trips in the boat. The first time I start the motor for the day its seems pretty rough. The motor shakes and doesn't sound like it running right. I will then shut it off, and try again. Usually the second start up is normal, but if not, the third is. It then runs smooth, idles fine and never gives me a bit of trouble all day, even if sitting turned off for several hours.

My first guess is to replace the spark plugs thinking they are not firing properly. But if that was the case I'd expect the issue too happen almost every start up. Any ideas before I go throwing money at the motor?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
are you pumping up the priming bulb firmly before you start it the first time? Air bubbles can cause this. Also how long since you changed fuel filters and what kind are you using? What rpm is it trying to idle at while the engine is cold, might not be choking/fast idling properly when cold.

Reactions: TarheelFishing88

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do prime the bulb. I have not changed the filter since I've had the boat, about a year and a half. Is there a brand you recommend? I'll start it up in the morning and get a rpm reading for you.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
definitely change that filter. If it is a canister type you want a 10 micron filter to get as much out as you can. Brand isn't as important as the size. Are you using any type of fuel cleaner? I highly recommend SeaFoam or Yamaha Ring free.

·
Banned
1,876 Posts
I was running on only three cylinders. I changed the plug, but that was not the problem. I loosen and then retighten the bolts that hold the coils on. (I think this was the problem!) I also unplugged the connections from the stator to the coils, applied dielectric grease, and reconnected. Problem solved.
Also don't be afraid to use some Automotive Injector cleaner / gas treatment.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Yes you can use the auto stuff on 4 strokes but be careful those of you with 2 strokes, don't use just any fuel cleaner, like STP/Gumout, it can ruin you!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I finally got a chance to fire up the motor again and watch the rpms. With the rough idle, it sits at about 900 rpm and drops every so often to about 500 rpm. When it started idling normal, it was at 1000 rpm.

I use marine sta-bil as a fuel additive and only use non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah after I make the first run of the day it is completely fine after that. Something's not right but at the same time the motor runs fine otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.