NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going out to Yaupon reef in my Prism. I haven't been that far out yet, but thought it would be a good weekend to stretch out my legs as long as the weather allows. I know the water is still pretty cool, thinking of wearing my wetsuit. I do not have any electronics on my kayak yet, so how can I tell I am at the reef (heard the buoy was removed). I don't think terrain association will work there. I need to pick up a radio this week too.

Any suggestions? Think I would have any luck?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Trout, and flounder should be around as well as sea mullet. May be a little early for blues still. Without any electronics you'll be hard pressed to find it. its almost two miles straight out from 58th St on Oak Island. I'll start going out to the reef on may when the Kings and Cobia start coming around.

If i wasn't working this weekend I would join you Just to get out. Next weekend I am off work however and am trying to get out inshore on some Reds between OI and FF.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply NSTIGATR. I did make it out during the last King of the Beach but didn't go all the way out to the reef. I know roughly where it is located. Plan on making it out Saturday morning as long as weather is nice. VHF is enroute from BassPro. I hope it makes it on time. Long story and it will be my last order with them.

NSTIGATR thanks for the info and offering to go out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much to report. Saturday and Sunday was to choppy and windy. Monday was perfect to go out, but I did not have the time. Next time.

Did some fishing on Oceancrest. Little whiting and croaker were everywhere. Did catch a few small blues and one gray trout.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So think its about time to start planning a trip. Sunday the 26th, May 2/3 rd?, May 9/10? Usually I have Sundays off but could finagle a Saturday if given time. Of course weather is always the uncontrollable factor, so I suggest a inshore option in case of high winds/seas. Bait should be in too. Lets hear some ideas and make this happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.