NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
dogjaw, I'd love to go and catch I mess for dinner. Up in NY my Mom says "Go ahead and give away the Crappie but you better keep those Perch!" (My wife says exactly the opposite but she'll have to endure a meal or two if I can catch them!)

I have some concerns out putting my trailer into salt water to launch my boat... has anyone ever gotten into these on say the Roanoke river? My understanding is that its completely fresh water all the way to the mouth, and I was thinking about takeing a trip there next week to look for them. Any thoughts on this river? How about the Tar or Neuse? Is there any places to launch on these rivers in fresh water and still get into a good mess of Perch?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Red I fish here in Washington all the time and it is brackish with salinity dropping as you head upriver Pamlico River becomes the Tar river upstream. I have an old steel trailer sprayed with cold galvinizing paint and it has done fine. I do stop by the carwash and spray it off "sometimes"..LOL. You can put in right in town and be on the downstream side or go to Clark's Neck rd launch and put in in Tranter's creek/Tar upriver of town.
If you come this way give me a shout, I live right in town and would like to at least say hi face to face!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Never heard too much about yellow perch down here, but were my favorite fish to eat up in MD. Surprised myself one afternoon a couple months ago by catching a couple 3-4" ones off the pier at Flemington on Kerr though.

Good luck, would love to find a place around here where they are plentiful

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have caught them just about everywhere in the piedmont but there always small , they grow to 14" in the brackish water and tanic water near the coast though and the size falls off as you head west until you get to the mountains where they get bigger again but not as many of them as there are down east

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I've heard good things about White Lake. Lots of people have had good success there.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Coach, White lakes water is so clear you can read the print on a dollar bill in 6 ft of water.. fun to "watch" the fish go after your bait! :)

loads of perch in there in front of the undeveloped part to the right of the Marina launch.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Will have to check it out. Is it easy to access with a kayak or jon boat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been to White Lake before to swim and my parents used to ski there a lot 15+ years ago. From my experience, I thought the water was filthy, seems like there was a lot of vegetation in it but it has been at least 8 years since I've been out there. During the Summer that place is filled with ski boats and jet skis, but maybe it is good to fish the rest of the year. What species do you catch out there?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Maybe so during the summer months.. I can see how boat traffic would stir up the lake...

I've only caught yellow perch out of there and during the winter/fall/early spring.. that water is pretty clear.. clear enough to see who's head is on a nickle in 6 ft of water (unless somethin has changed...)

·
Registered
306 Posts
What time of year is best for perch fishing? When I was younger I fished south river alot'with beatle spin, every once in a while we would catch some. I would to catch some large enough 2 eat. Ive always heard Suggs mill pond is full of them but I have never tried ot

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I've never targeted yellow perch, but have caught a few over the years. I call them racoon perch. Haven't caught one in quite a while, and can't remember what I was fishing with when I did. As far as artificials, what are the best lures, and lure sizes? I know the Beatle Spin was mentioned.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.