NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I work remotely and my wife and I are expecting our first child later this year. We both come from small midwest towns and the big city life (traffic, high cost of living, and general crowding of people) aren't our style. We're researching moving away from Raleigh and wanted to get as many opinions as possible.

Obviously good fishing is a priority, not sure if there is somewhere in this state that doesn't qualify for that. So with that in mind, if you could live anywhere in a smaller town with a realistic cost of living where would you live and why?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
The west side of Lake Norman is a good choice. We live in Sherrills Ford. Still on the lake but away from the crowds. I really like the fishing on Norman...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
New Bern, Greenville , Washington. Washington being my preference. Far enough from the coast prices are low. Tar River, Pamlico River/Sound at your door. Small town charm with big town 25 mins away (Greenville) with all your needs and some of the best medical practices. http://www.littlewashingtonnc.com/category/fishing

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Johnston county is a choice a lot of people make because it is very country, especially in the middle and southern parts, but it is only 45 minutes of easy driving to Raleigh. 2 hours to the beach and 4 hours to the mountains. Unfortunately public fishing is scarce in good ole Joco. Lots of awesome private farm ponds tucked away everywhere though. If you like salt water more then mountains then definitely somewhere in the new bern area.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Keep in mind New Bern/Washington areas provide both fresh and salt fishing. Best of both worlds..

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
If you are a salt water junkie like I am than places like Southport, New Bern, Washington or the Swansboro area are wonderful. I wish I lived in one of those places. However, if you like variety in your fishing then the Piedmont area has many very nice small country towns that put you within a few hours of either the mountains or the beach and plenty of good warm freshwater species right in the area. I'll be on floating a mountain river for smallies in two weeks and out in the salt chasing reds and flounder next month. What a great state we live in. But yeah, get out of Raleigh.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my mind, I would build a fish shack somewhere secluded on Carrot Island in Beaufort, far far away from people.

In reality, I would pick New Bern. My parents moved there from TN and I lived there for a few years. Now that I live in Rocky Mount, I truly miss New Bern. As already mentioned, it has the best of both fishing worlds.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Johnston county is a choice a lot of people make because it is very country, especially in the middle and southern parts, but it is only 45 minutes of easy driving to Raleigh. 2 hours to the beach and 4 hours to the mountains. Unfortunately public fishing is scarce in good ole Joco. Lots of awesome private farm ponds tucked away everywhere though.
I like Rolesville, similar to JoCo, still get stuck behind a tractor once in a while but the schools are better. Not saying there ain't good schools across the state but I think you have a higher percentage of them in Wake Co. Only you can decide what is best for your family.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have lived near or visited most of the smaller coastal towns mentioned but unfortunately now stuck in the Piedmont. If I ever get to move back to eastern NC, I would probably head straight to Wilmington or close by. It's larger, big university, more business and development compared to the great places already mentioned. That is, if you needed a larger community environment for your family and is very close to great fresh and salt water fishing opportunities.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
John I wouldn't enjoy living in Raleigh, but you can't argue with the abundance of places to catch nice fish. Especially from the banks. Spidey, James, Aki have posted some nice pictures yanked in from the shore. Not ti mention FrogFishes huge crabtree carp.

Crummy, the cool mountain air is definitely a plus this time of year, but the feel of an upper slot red drum will take away some of the pains of being out in the heat.

Jerry you have good taste, SunDrop's avatar is killer

Darrell

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are awesome, my wife and I are definitely leaning towards the coast because she loves the beach and I love catching those big fish! Well I will when I actually catch one, I'm 0/2 on trips to the coast this year.

We've lived in St. Louis, Austin, San Antonio, and then Raleigh so we're ready to try something new, which is basically anything without a GIANT population. We don't mind the mid-size town where you can get out of the city quickly if you need to, but also have some of the bigger city benefits. We're already planning a trip down to Wilmington this weekend.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions guys!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.