NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using all kinds of crappie jigs in the past few years, and seem to have mixed results. I have personally found that bucktail jigs work better for me in cold water, and plastics better in warmer water. This might just be my confidence in the baits though.
what type jigs do yall find best?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Berkeley 2" PowerBait Grubs usually in white. Lots of others work about as well for me, but this is one item where generics can let you down. The Berkeley grubs' tail ripples with the slightest movement even in the coldest water. Usually with a red 1/16 head, sometimes with a white RoadRunner head.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Went to a seminar by Monk of Monk's Crappie.com acwhile back. He suggests matching plastic baits to the fishing method: sliders for trolling, tube types for jigging, and tailed baits for casting. He sells every color but says all you need is blue and white and blue and chartreuse

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Went to a seminar by Monk of Monk's Crappie.com acwhile back. He suggests matching plastic baits to the fishing method: sliders for trolling, tube types for jigging, and tailed baits for casting. He sells every color but says all you need is blue and white and blue and chartreuse
Monk is the man when it comes to crappie in Lakes....I was at his seminar last spring in Raleigh. I get the acid rain and purple rain from him in bulk bags along with pink and chartreuse headed jigs. acid rain is my favorite. heavyfoot on here put me on them.
Insect Pollinator Arthropod Larva Caterpillar

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best crappie jig, curly tail hand poured plastic grub. Colors: white, chartreuse, gray, blue, black. Used to catch over 100's of thousand of crappie. To include largemouth bass, stripped bass, catfish, white base, ok any bass or fish that will bite. It's an awesome bait. Pour lead substitute on jig hook 1/16 oz. mold. Been using for over 20 years. My father made them and we both fished them. Best day over 400 crappie and a few other fish white river a few miles from beaver lake NW Arkansas. There are other little secrets that I'm not willing to share right now that make this bait explosively the best all around bait you can and will ever use!

·
Registered
184 Posts
lkg, I'm with you! I've been tyin small bucktail jigs for over 40 yrs an have yet to find any thing that will beat it consistantly! Of course, a lot of my boat partners will tell ya its the Indian, not the arrow....(quote stolen from Lee Treveno)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.