NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went for a short early morning kayak trip to look for some stripers on topwater along the Neuse in Bridgeton. Had a few misses, and then moved a bit closer to the shore. First cast, boom, nice blow-up on the surface, and what I thought may have been a small flounder, ended up being a Bluegill!! That was definitely a first for me, and was wondering what unusual catches others have had.? In fresh water ponds, I have caught frogs and snakes. Never thought I'd catch a 6" bluegill on a she-dog though. ?

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
A mink, he surfaced as my lure passed and it snagged him in the head. Was an interesting release. I held his head up with the rod and my Dad wrapped him up with an old army blanket from the truck. We got the hook out and unrolled him and he stood there staring at us, we stood there staring back, not sure who needed to run or where..LOL!! He finally scurried off into the grass.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A 35# grass carp on a the smallest AC Shiner they make. Full disclosure, however: The fish was named "humpy" because of the a big hump on his back. I actually caught him about 4 times. He lived in the pond across the street from my house for many years until this past winter claimed him. He was a very discreet feeder. He never did the job we hired him for - eating algae and pond weeds. He preferred freshly mowed centipede grass clippings and would delicately slurp that lure occasionally. I'd have to follow him around the pond for a few laps before he'd allow me to reach down and free the lure. I still have that tiny lure and it is still a killer. They are very hard to find in coastal NC.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
A mink, he surfaced as my lure passed and it snagged him in the head. Was an interesting release. I held his head up with the rod and my Dad wrapped him up with an old army blanket from the truck. We got the hook out and unrolled him and he stood there staring at us, we stood there staring back, not sure who needed to run or where..LOL!! He finally scurried off into the grass.
Sundrop, was this in a river or still water?

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.