NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess i will start this little thread. what would have to be your favorite inshore saltwater rod that you use.
My favorite rod would have to be a six foot ugly stik. i would have to say they are some of the most reliable rods i have used. they take a beating. i have had one since i was about 8 years of age so it makes it 21 years old. and i still use it.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I like the Shimano Compre, I the a 7' models with fast action and med light power. Sensitive, tough & I espicially like the finger cut-out so you can feel the line through the blank real well. I have them in both baitcasting and spinning models.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This is a hard one for me-- this is my first major decision each time I go fishing. I use my 6 ft. Fenwick ultra light with a Shimano mostly. I only use spinning reels for sound fishing or anywhere casting is required. I go back to the days of old level wind reels with braided line and steel rods. When I got my first outfit, some days my first cast would be my last ( major backlashes when using old spark plugs for sinkers) I don't care what kind of anti- backlash they have developed, Bill Dance and all the TV shows have not convinced me yet.:D Too many bad memories.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
For the light stuff it is hard to beat a good quality graphite rod. I like Falcons and Shimanos for grubs, jigs and small spoons. Fenwick fenglas rods are my favorite live bait rods but the old uglysticks really do take what ever you dish out and they just keep on catching fish after fish

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
My buddy has two Fenwick live bait rods that he started King fishing on. He doesn't use them any more - has about 20 other rods (He fishes the FLW Pro tour). He loaned me the Fenwicks once for a tourney cause I needed back-up. I trolled those babies and have been trying to talk him out of them ever since! Can't believe he don't use them no more.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Those Fenwick's were the best king rods ever built. Soft tip with the perfect taper to a good stout butt. I've got one. (NO!!! I want part with it!) Mine is 6'8" if I remember correctly, 8 eyes and a carballoy tip. Mine has an old Newell 338 (all aluminum) mounted on it. Together they have been utterly the best rod and reel I have ever owned. I remember back in 82 or 83 consistently outcasting a guy that was using a huge olympic spinning reel on a new Fenwick big surf stick. I caught a fat albert from the surf that day but he never could quite reach them. He couldn't figure it out cause we were fishing the exact same model spoon. I also put an 18lb king on SCOTCH BONNET PIER IN 7 minutes using it.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
That's the same model he has! Sweet rod. I think he has Newells on his too - I took them off and put on my spare speedmasters cause the line was rather old on those newells. I took em as back up in case one of my regulars got fouled up as I was already down 2 rods. Ended up using them as primaries for that tourney.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
for light salty casting i use 7 foot mh fenwick hmx spinning reel i have a quatum energy pti reel on it.
for inshore trolling i like penn newport rods..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I found some nice Fenwicks on Ebay after reading this thread. I'm still amazed at the cost of "good" equipment.... *geesh and I thought $45 was alot for a rod!!!..LOL
Now I know I have a long way to go.... I'm still trying to get up the courage to pay $200+ for a reel...

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I see the tackle monkey has visited your house and is camped out on your shoulder.....:eek:

The key for me is when learning a new style, type of fishing, etc I rely on cheaper equipment to determine how/if I want to pursue that avenue... Once I learn the ropes and decide to stick with it, then I spend money on quaility equipment that will last a long, long time and give great performance. That way I have a better idea of what features are most important for me.

I have some nice equipment that is 20 or more years old that I still use (some of my surf casting and pier fishing gear as well as fresh water trout & bass equipment). I also have some that I don't use because I bought it before I realized what I really needed so I wasted my money (hummm - I think I hear ebay calling).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I found some nice Fenwicks on Ebay after reading this thread. I'm still amazed at the cost of "good" equipment.... *geesh and I thought $45 was alot for a rod!!!..LOL
Now I know I have a long way to go.... I'm still trying to get up the courage to pay $200+ for a reel...

drop
i had a custom golden eagle fenwick -top of the line- made took 6 months to get cost $265.. i busted it in 3 months -bout cryed- on of all things a 45" "jack" in lake gaston..

reels are stageringly high most of mine run in the $100 range-i have several 20+ years old-

zooker

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sundrop, for some types of fishing you spend money for comfort and sensitvity but for a lot of methods you spend less and go for ruggedness and durability. Penn spinfishers are great if you aren't having to hold them long at a time. Simple, durable, will literally catch tons of fish. But if I'm casting all day a Shimano Stradic is worth the extra money. The same goes for rods. I like the older Eagle Claw Ocean Granger series for reeling in fish one right after another. Cheap and durable. I used a Penn Slammer for many years for those same qualities. But on days where you are going to be doing a lot of casting per fish you gotta like a sensitive featherweight rod that will load up and fire your lure to the target.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
drop
i had a custom golden eagle fenwick -top of the line- made took 6 months to get cost $265.. i busted it in 3 months -bout cryed- on of all things a 45" "jack" in lake gaston..

reels are stageringly high most of mine run in the $100 range-i have several 20+ years old-

zooker
I hope you got it repaired/replaced under warranty. If you had line on it yhat was within the rod's rating and didn't abuse it - they should have covered under their warranty. I had that happen a while back when I hooked up a shark and gaffed him - as we pulled him into the boat - the gaff man slipped and the shark fell back toward the water putting all the pressure on the line - one good tail swat on the water as he went and the rod broke into two pieces. Got a new one at no charge.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
All very good points...DOWN Munkey!! Back Back!! here munkey ggood munkeyy...AAAHHHRGG!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.