NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has seem them, those large green boxes that NC Wildlife has floating out there on a lake or pond, every once in a while stealing a kids line and rig. They give off a specific amount of food every so often, which often ensues with a swarm of a feeding frenzy, either by ducks or fish.

But I've gotta ask; How do you, as anglers, feel about them? Do you avoid them? Do you not mind them? Do you use them to your advantage? I'd like to know how others feel about these things.

I myself dislike them. I don't know if it's just from my inexperience or what, but it does seem that I ALWAYS get more action on a body of water that doesn't have them, which leads me to believe that the fish have become so accustomed to the food that they don't really want to go for anything else. Throw in your opinions.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I don't fish around them very often, but I saw some kids wearing out small channel cats with bread balls besdie of a feeder. They would wrap a wad of crumbled saltines with a what looked like a soft tortilla and lob it out to the feeder with a tennis ball thrower. After it hit the water they would catch fish every cast for awhile.

I used to fish a pier that had one on it at Lake Hickory, it seemed to have a bass or two under it every time we fished it.

Cats, Bream, minnows etc. would congregate at a feeder but Bass wouldn't have an interest in the food, but probably would the smaller stuff it attracted. I may be wrong but I think the population and size of fish in a body of water are dependent on the amount of food, so if additional food is introduced it may satisfy the population for awhile but the population will even out over the whole body of water as feeding areas abandoned by the feeder using fish. Either that or the general size of the fish will go up.

my .02
Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
The Wildlife has one at one of the ponds at the Nature Center at Kinston. 1st time I saw it, it put out a lot of food about an hour apart. Still about 1 hour, but very little comes out of it now. Never really thought much about the effects it would have on that pond. The Wildlife also stocks that pond with channel cats. Some get fairly large, but the majority of what I have noticed, caught the few times I've been there, are the small ones. Not sure if the Wildlife stocks other types of fish in there. There have been some fairly nice crappie caught there, but just going on hearsay. Fish, especially the cats do congregate more around that feeder. There is a pier right in front of it, and most fishermen who are there for the cats fish fairly close to the feeder. A lot of those big cats are lost when the fish gets caught up in the feeder anchor.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
several behind my house I can walk to. I don't think there is anything wrong with them. Good for kids and beginners to catch some fish. Sometimes(rarely) i will go fish them just for fun. Best bait is BBQ vienna's sliced into about 5 chunks fished below a bobber.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
They never bothered me, but I don't bank fish and they are typically located in areas that I'm not prone to fish from a boat in most of the lakes I've been to (ie, near the bank fishing section) so I never really paid them any mind. I did watch a guy catch a pretty nice cat out near the feeder at Oak Hollow once this summer, but that's just one fish. Might also increase the presence of bass and catfish forage in the form of bream?

I would think it would tend to draw in cats and bream, increasing overall catch rates for those species by some small margin, but once you get more than a hundred yards or so away from it, I would think it would have little impact on anything.

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.