NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just moved back home to NC from Texas and are looking for some lure tips.
So what are your top 5 go to Bass lures, you know, the 5 lures that you don't leave home without. Thanks for the help getting me adjusted to NC fishing.

Thanks
Mutt

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
My 5 changes depending on what kind of water and what season. There's one that's almost always in my top 5 regardless of other factors: 5" Zoom Super Fluke in pearl white.

Others would be Zoom Horny toad, Rapala Shad Rap (silver/black back), Yamamoto Senko (junebug), Rapala Minnow (smallest 3 hook series floater), 10" Berkley Power Worm in Black Grape. Like most I've got a wandering eye for tackle - my favorites are usually the newest ones in my collection... Right now I'm experimenting with some big swimbaits I picked up at Castaway this weekend. Gonna live by the big baits for a little while and see what happens.

If I had to catch a fish to survive, I'd probably go with a small rooster tail or a 3" yozuri minnow.

I could go on like this all day. Can we make it "top 50"?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
1. green pumpkin worm
2. pearl white fluke
3. Sammy 100, Zara Spook or Rebel Jumping Minnow
4. Chartreuse and white spinner bait
5. # 7 original style black/silver Shad Rap

Sizes subject to change according to season. Those are the ones I would have to go with on an any lake any day take five and stick to them scenario.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, keep'em coming. I'm trying to get my Texas tackle box to be a NC tackle box. I've noticed buzzbaits but what colors, also flukes but I've never fished them so I'll have to look into those not quite sure how to fish them.
Keep those goto lures coming and please put what colors you use.

Thanks
Mutt

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
... also flukes but I've never fished them so I'll have to look into those not quite sure how to fish them...
Thanks
Mutt
For the Super Fluke I fish them mostly weightless with a wide gap worm hook, rigged texposed and skin hook the tip if I'm in bad weeds. Sometimes on a jig head as a swimbait or drop bait for fishing vertical structure like bridge pilings, sometimes on a Carolina Rig for just a little different shape/action behind the weight.

The regular sized Fluke looks great on one of the new horsey-heads (fish head spin is one brand/model, but there are others)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
lures i'm having a lot of luck with most recently:

*Rapala DT series, esp. shallow running ones (3,4, & 6) (color depends on local baitfish)

*zara spook jr.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
During the winter months a jig and pig combination is a very good choice. Lots of folks use mostly electric blue and black in my neck of the woods but a Yamamoto twin tailed Hula Grub in Cinnamon w/ red mf seems to do better for me. Might just be a confidence thing ....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been fishing for bass 18 months now and reguardless of the conditions, a cheap bait from wally world, the Sonic Swing minnow, looks like an in line spinner with a swim bait hanging on. Bass love them, they tear up easy , a bit of superglue helps, but they only cost 1.34 each. They can be hard to find at wally world cause they sell alot of them, you can order direct if you want to pay shipping, made by Renoskylures.com
I have also had luck with in line spinners, panther martins, blue fox, now this may be because I was a trout fisherman back in Colorado for awhile and I have alot of confidence in the way I fish them.
The Chatterbait works well, have even caught a couple of catfish on them.
Skip the cheap buzzbaits at wally world, get a Strike King or BooYah, the fish dont like the cheap swill.
Once I get adjusted to throwing my backlasher, I mean baitcaster i will try all those worms, and jigs, and lizards, and senkos, ect.... the pros all catch huge fish on those.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gulp Sinking Minnow Worm (Watermelon) - weightless, texas style rig
Devil's Horse (Black/Red/Yellow)
PowerBait 4" Powerworm (Purple) weight and glass bead, texas rig
Wooly Bugger (Black)
Fly Poppers (almost any color)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok here it is. Let me introduce you guys to the Best Bass bait ever. I am originally from Florida and used this bait all the time, when I moved out here I had a hard time finding it in stores. I thought maybe it was because they were sold out, but I realized it was because it is not really used much out here. So I used it anyway and I am glad I did. I cant remember a time going fishing and not catching at least a couple nice bass with it. Ok here goes.

ZOOM Ultra Vibe Speedworm (My favorite is "Redbug" color)

The tail action is great, you can fish it faster like a spinnerbait or slow it down like a finese worm. It works great weightless, texas rigged, and carolina rigged. It is an incredibly veristile bait, trust me. Give it a try and I dont believe you will be disapointed.

Now for the rest of my top 5

1. ZOOM Speedworm (redbug)
2. ZOOM Speedworm (blackberry)
3. ZOOM Speedworm (watermelon/Red)
4. ZOOM Speedworm (White Pearl)
5. ZOOM Speedworm (Pumkinseed)

Enjoy Fellas

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
15 Speed Worms per Pack
Look like a versatile bait for sure! I bet the paddle tail gives it unique action/vibration.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.