NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went today, to a custom rod shop about 25 miles from home, looking for a G Loomis GL2 blank, to build for my plugging rod. The guy had some Fenwick Fenglass Surf Rod blanks, that had been there for years. I thought about buying one, and asked him for a price. He told me, if I bought ALL of them, he'd cut me a deal. The deal was so good, I flipped out the credit card, and bought 5 2 piece, white blanks.........2 -10 footers, and 3- 9 footers. He also had a Honey Colored Lamiglas surf stick, 1 piece, 10- ft. and a 15 foot Lamiglas 3 piece (White).............bought those too, LOL I have no use for the 15 footer, as it's pretty much a light action. But, the others, I'll probably build to turn a profit. I did actually remember to get what I went there for, a Mahogany colored GL2 blank with all the trimmings. All in all, I spent a little over $400 today.

WHEW!!! Glad I'm not married!! Can you say "DOGHOUSE?"

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Wow - and I thought the tackle monkey was bad down here in Hampstead. My monkey "ain't got a thing" on that monkey of yours :) But hey, sounds like you got a great deal. I'd be interested in seeing how those 10' turn out ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
pier dweller said:
Mike.........Spinning? or casting? LOL The 10 footers are rated at 4-10 oz lure weight. They're pretty stout.
I'm strickly a spinner when it comes to the surf. I make "beautiful" bird's nests when trying to heave a casting rod in the windy surf conditions.

I have a 9' fast action, med. strength (2-6 ounce) rod that I use for pompano and other small creatures. Then I have a 10 1/2' rod that I sling heavy stuff with - mainly for drum and stripers. The 10 1/2 footer has seen its better days so maybe I'll need to replace it one day.....:) Dang - there that monkey is again, sneaking onto my back :eek:

Let's talk about it when we see each other in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Pier Dweller -I'm looking forward to seeing some of your finished rods. I've thought about building my own Fly Rods. Since, I've been Tying Flies I found alot of satisfaction in fishing with equipment that I create.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mike,

You oughtta check out a Penn 525 Mag. SWEET!! I threw one on the pier last time I was down there, and the only time you put your thumb on the spool, is when the weight hits the water. The spool was full to the top, and I emptied a little over a 1/4 inch of 20# off of it. I can throw my 505 110 yds. (Checked with a range finder in a field behind home) And, I threw that 525 a whole lot further. Hence, the tackle monkey strikes again, LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.